Tips on dealing with daytime predation?

coyotecrestbirds

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2022
So looking for any advice or tips anybody might have on dealing with daytime predators.

I have very secure coops/barns for my ducks/geese/chickens at night, and we lock them up at dusk, so nighttime predation is no concern. They are however free ranged during the day.

I've had continuous issues over the past couple years with bobcats & coyotes going after my birds in broad daylight. I've seen them/scared them off a few times, but I work full time during most of the daylight hours and that's when they seem to be coming. One or the other has started coming back in the past week and I'm missing at least 4 birds, (especially frustrating because one was my 3 mo. old Delaware rooster :().

I live in a rural area on acreage, and at the moment I unfortunately can't afford to build a fenced enclosure right away, so I'm looking for any advice y'all might have on something I might be able get to deter bobcats/coyotes. Wolf urine? Strobes/noisemakers...? Really anything at this point that I can try on a budget before either scraping up for a fence or hiring a county trapper... Thanks ahead of time!

So looking for any advice or tips anybody might have on dealing with daytime predators.

I have very secure coops/barns for my ducks/geese/chickens at night, and we lock them up at dusk, so nighttime predation is no concern. They are however free ranged during the day.

I've had continuous issues over the past couple years with bobcats & coyotes going after my birds in broad daylight. I've seen them/scared them off a few times, but I work full time during most of the daylight hours and that's when they seem to be coming. One or the other has started coming back in the past week and I'm missing at least 4 birds, (especially frustrating because one was my 3 mo. old Delaware rooster :().

I live in a rural area on acreage, and at the moment I unfortunately can't afford to build a fenced enclosure right away, so I'm looking for any advice y'all might have on something I might be able get to deter bobcats/coyotes. Wolf urine? Strobes/noisemakers...? Really anything at this point that I can try on a budget before either scraping up for a fence or hiring a county trapper... Thanks ahead of time!
I'm sorry for your losses. That's really tough to deal with. Sad to say but with free ranging some losses are to be expected. You could try putting out scent and other sound or visual deterrents and you may have some success but nothing will be 100%. Roosters and guineas will alert hens so they can hopefully get away and seek shelter but they often sacrifice themselves in the process. Problem with coyotes and bobcats is they can climb and jump pretty high fences. I wish I could offer better suggestions. Sorry again for your losses to your flock.

My mutt dog just chased away two semi-feral dogs from my land. I didn't even know they were here until he was already in action

Electric fencing is the least expensive solution for land predators, use a very hot charger, and bait the lines at first. @Howard E, @cmom , and especially Premier1supplies.com are very good sources for information, and Premier has excellent supplies too.
A couple of trained, fenced dogs can work well, but this is the most expensive and time consuming method, best for large herds/ flocks, and lots of land.
Otherwise, keeping the birds inside for a couple of weeks might encourage your current predators to move on. And a smaller really safe run attached to your coop is great for times like that!
Mary

A powerful electric fence offers less protection than a predator proof run but are ideal for free ranging .(If you have bears a baited electric fence is the only thing that'll stop them)

I have also had good luck with putting alarms with flashing lights. The predators know the electric wires are there.
51RDI0JbdhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have posted pictures on BYC of predators staying clear of the hot wires but I have a quite powerful fence charger and the predators know. I think the adult predators teach there young to steer clear. I also have all of my pens covered with good heavy duty netting for the aerial predators. Good luck...

A dog works well, but since you are gone during the day, not practical.

Portable electric fencing works well with fox, bobcats, raccoons, dogs, cats. Weasels will hop through the openings, hawks and eagles will dive from overhead.

You need to take a few minutes to move the fence every couple to a few days to keep the birds on fresh pasture.

My brother keeps donkeys on one side and ponies and horses on the other and goats right in the middle to protct the newborns.You can protect your chickens by keeping donkeys on all sides

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom