What is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Frenzie, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    My friend wanted to know what was happening to her chickens. One by one, they just keep randomly dying. They're full grown hens, and they first start to slow down. Then they just randomly sit around, then die. What is this???

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Could be for so many reasons...

Are they regularly de-wormed ?

Are they (and their coop/nesting boxes) treated with Sevin or Permethryn for lice/mite infestations ?

Any possibility that they are accessing poisonous plants.. or mouldy food ?

Just a few thoughts to consider

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Agreed. Most likely internal and/or external parasites.

4. Chicken Frenzie

Nov 2, 2010
    Alright. Any ideas on how to stop it?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not enough information to say. I've had numerous hens start to die from internal laying, one after the other, just after they begin to turn 2 years of age and then, the next one would slow down, lose weight, then become weak and die, etc, etc.

How much time between deaths? How old are they? Need more input.

6. penguin77

penguin77 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Hello! Im Chickens frenzies friend and my chickens are only about 10 months old. There is usually about 2-4 weeks in between our chickens deaths. Yeah so my chickens just slow down stop eating or drinking and just slouch in a corner until you die.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You need to contact your state vet/poultry lab and have one necropsied. Can't put my finger on why young hens would just stop eating and drinking then die with no symptoms, unless there are symptoms you've left out.

8. penguin77

Jan 6, 2013
    No, we just lost another one this morning! It's so sad [​IMG][​IMG] We are going to try getting our chickens from another place because we think it might have to do with the people that raised them. Have any of you ever had problems with the Meyer hatchery? That's where we got them from.

9. Chicken Frenzie

Nov 2, 2010
    I'll talk to you at school, penguin, I get them from square deal country store... They're good.

10. penguin77

Jan 6, 2013
    okay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by