what is this?

Kip has chicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Bathurst
I've been noticing some of the combs on my roosters have black spots as seen in this picture. What is it? Should I be alarmed?

It could be dry fowl pox, and no, it's not serious. It's a virus carried by mosquitoes. It will hang around for 3 weeks then disappear, and those chickens will then be immune to it for life. Occasionally a bird will get infected in the mouth, which is then wet pos, and that can be serious and requires some treatment.

It could also be a peck park, a scab.

Those look more like peck marks than Fowl Pox, to me. If the scabs get larger or become more numberous, it's probably Fowl Pox. Whether they are scabs or Fowl Pox, it isn't too much to worry about. Scabs should go away in a week or so. Fowl Pox lasts for up to 6 weeks or so, and is rarely fatal, unless it turns into the wet form (which invades the throat).

Those look more like peck marks than Fowl Pox, to me. If the scabs get larger or become more numberous, it's probably Fowl Pox. Whether they are scabs or Fowl Pox, it isn't too much to worry about. Scabs should go away in a week or so. Fowl Pox lasts for up to 6 weeks or so, and is rarely fatal, unless it turns into the wet form (which invades the throat).

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom