What is too cold!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by epeloquin, Jan 15, 2012.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I purposely purchased Rhodies and Plymouth Rocks because they are hearty breeds (plus I'm a New englander!) bred for the cold. Today was the first time I went to the coop/run and they were in the coop (VERY cold and windy today). I have a homemade heater that keeps their water from freezing. I am going over to put some petroleum jelly on their comb/wattles. It is supposed to get down to -1. I have covered their windows to prevent the cold wind from coming in.

I guess I know that they are fine because every time I check them when they're on the roost their feet are warm. I guess I just need reassurance that they are okay in the cold. I think I am doing everything I should be doing and from all I know they really don't need a heat source. I guess I am wondering if there is anything else that might be good to do or if I've done everything I can.

This is their coop sans run...sans snow!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They'll be fine. I have both those breeds and it was -4 last night. No issues, no frostbite, nothing but normal-normal behaviors and about 80% laid today. Do you cover up ALL the vents on the coop?

3. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:

X2

And I add.... they still need ventilation, frostbite is caused by high humidity. If you cover up all the windows/vents at night be sure to open something during the day. If I go into my coop and it stinks, there's not enough ventilation. I'm in CT and all of mine did ok today too. They did spend most of the day in the coop, coming out twice for water until I felt sorry for them and put an additional waterer in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by