What is too cold!?

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
I purposely purchased Rhodies and Plymouth Rocks because they are hearty breeds (plus I'm a New englander!) bred for the cold. Today was the first time I went to the coop/run and they were in the coop (VERY cold and windy today). I have a homemade heater that keeps their water from freezing. I am going over to put some petroleum jelly on their comb/wattles. It is supposed to get down to -1. I have covered their windows to prevent the cold wind from coming in.

I guess I know that they are fine because every time I check them when they're on the roost their feet are warm. I guess I just need reassurance that they are okay in the cold. I think I am doing everything I should be doing and from all I know they really don't need a heat source. I guess I am wondering if there is anything else that might be good to do or if I've done everything I can.

This is their coop sans run...sans snow!

Quote:
They'll be fine. I have both those breeds and it was -4 last night. No issues, no frostbite, nothing but normal-normal behaviors and about 80% laid today. Do you cover up ALL the vents on the coop?

X2

And I add.... they still need ventilation, frostbite is caused by high humidity. If you cover up all the windows/vents at night be sure to open something during the day. If I go into my coop and it stinks, there's not enough ventilation. I'm in CT and all of mine did ok today too. They did spend most of the day in the coop, coming out twice for water until I felt sorry for them and put an additional waterer in the coop.

Quote:

X2

And I add.... they still need ventilation, frostbite is caused by high humidity. If you cover up all the windows/vents at night be sure to open something during the day. If I go into my coop and it stinks, there's not enough ventilation. I'm in CT and all of mine did ok today too. They did spend most of the day in the coop, coming out twice for water until I felt sorry for them and put an additional waterer in the coop.
Quote:

X2

How can you tell the humidity inside, I’m in IA and outside it’s -6 with 80% humidity. My hens have a lamp and I have a camera inside the coop. Maybe that’s over kill as I am very nervous for the nights. My coop hovers at 40 but has dropped to 30. About 60-80% lay everyday but is there any other way I can prevent frostbite besides petroleum jelly?

How can you tell the humidity inside, I’m in IA and outside it’s -6 with 80% humidity. My hens have a lamp and I have a camera inside the coop. Maybe that’s over kill as I am very nervous for the nights. My coop hovers at 40 but has dropped to 30. About 60-80% lay everyday but is there any other way I can prevent frostbite besides petroleum jelly?
If i read that right and you are saying your coop only gets down to 30F I wouldn’t be concerned at all. Chickens can take some nasty cold weather. I know it’s been cold enough in the coop to freeze the waterer solid a few times and have had no issues with my RIR or BR.
As for the humidity if you want to know for certain they sell monitors for about $5.

You do not need to put petroleum jelly on combs and waddles because it doesn't do anything. If your birds stay dry, frostbite won't be an issue. Keep those vents open and the birds will take care of themselves!

Back
Top Bottom