What is up with these messy hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Danigirl3, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    It never fails I fill the nesting box up with hay and when I go back later to check on them they have kicked it all out. It's only one of the nesting boxes that they do it to and I don't think I have ever had eggs in that box. Today I put the hay all back in and one of the hens jumped in and proceded to kick it all out while I was there. The boxes are all the same. I swear they are worse than little kids and their toys.

2. Gailchickie

Gailchickie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Mine do this with their feed. I suppose in our case it is more natural for them to like feed on the ground than in a feeder. As far as your nesting box goes, that's interesting! Maybe they are decorating!?

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I use shavings in the nesting boxes. It seems to keep the eggs cleaner and I don't have to do a full change as often because I can scoop out any nasties.

The hens do love to play in the loose hay in the barn though. Everytime I open a bale they go in and tear a flake of it all to pieces. I wonder if your girls are looking for seeds? Strange that they only tear it out of the one nest box though.

4. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats funny, mine do the same thing, there is one nest box the hens will just not let anything in and will scrape the hay out when put in the box.
    Who said chickens were boring....???

5. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    I wonder if they think "Will she just stop messing up our space gee whiz can't she see we cleaned it already!!" lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by