What is with this egg?

rothfarm2000

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
Not sure if this the proper forum to post in, but couldn't figure out a better one.

I hard boiled some eggs, all were fine except this one. When I peeled it, the egg was a weird tan color and there is a big black spot on one side. Sorry not the best picture.

I thought it smelled just like a hard boiled egg, but my husband thought it had a rotten smell, but I couldn't smell it.

I read some on the internet that overcooking an egg can supposedly can do the color change, but the big black spot is weird. I use an egg cooker that just uses steam to cook them. I really don't think it was overcooked, the yolk is not even cooked all the way through.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Colette

Attachments

• 20180305_193502.jpg
    20180305_193502.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 36
Kind of looks like yolk had a blood spot on it (?) I'm not sure definitely not over cooked looking though!

Not sure if this the proper forum to post in, but couldn't figure out a better one.

I hard boiled some eggs, all were fine except this one. When I peeled it, the egg was a weird tan color and there is a big black spot on one side. Sorry not the best picture.

I thought it smelled just like a hard boiled egg, but my husband thought it had a rotten smell, but I couldn't smell it.

I read some on the internet that overcooking an egg can supposedly can do the color change, but the big black spot is weird. I use an egg cooker that just uses steam to cook them. I really don't think it was overcooked, the yolk is not even cooked all the way through.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Colette
Just noticed the black you were talking about, I don't know what would cause that:barnie

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Colette

Well Colette do you have a rooster? Do you collect your eggs everyday. If you have a rooster it's possible that this was a fertile egg that started to grow for a few days. You think? Just a guess. :D

The tan “white” is more bizarre to me than the black spot, which I would assume is a blood or meat spot. Probably no big deal, but pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to eat it!

I don’t know how to post a link to other threads, but if you search the forum, a similar question has been asked before. Apparently, it can be attributed to the Maillard Reaction...:idunno

Back
Top Bottom