What is with this egg?

rothfarm2000

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
Not sure if this the proper forum to post in, but couldn't figure out a better one.

I hard boiled some eggs, all were fine except this one. When I peeled it, the egg was a weird tan color and there is a big black spot on one side. Sorry not the best picture.

I thought it smelled just like a hard boiled egg, but my husband thought it had a rotten smell, but I couldn't smell it.

I read some on the internet that overcooking an egg can supposedly can do the color change, but the big black spot is weird. I use an egg cooker that just uses steam to cook them. I really don't think it was overcooked, the yolk is not even cooked all the way through.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Colette

Attachments

• 20180305_193502.jpg
    20180305_193502.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 34

Pigpie

Songster
Mar 2, 2018
Kind of looks like yolk had a blood spot on it (?) I'm not sure definitely not over cooked looking though!

Pigpie

Songster
Mar 2, 2018
Not sure if this the proper forum to post in, but couldn't figure out a better one.

I hard boiled some eggs, all were fine except this one. When I peeled it, the egg was a weird tan color and there is a big black spot on one side. Sorry not the best picture.

I thought it smelled just like a hard boiled egg, but my husband thought it had a rotten smell, but I couldn't smell it.

I read some on the internet that overcooking an egg can supposedly can do the color change, but the big black spot is weird. I use an egg cooker that just uses steam to cook them. I really don't think it was overcooked, the yolk is not even cooked all the way through.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Colette
Just noticed the black you were talking about, I don't know what would cause that:barnie

Peppercorngal

Crowing
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Colette

Well Colette do you have a rooster? Do you collect your eggs everyday. If you have a rooster it's possible that this was a fertile egg that started to grow for a few days. You think? Just a guess. :D

Relleoms

Songster
Jan 22, 2018
Iowa
The tan “white” is more bizarre to me than the black spot, which I would assume is a blood or meat spot. Probably no big deal, but pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to eat it!

Relleoms

Songster
Jan 22, 2018
Iowa
I don’t know how to post a link to other threads, but if you search the forum, a similar question has been asked before. Apparently, it can be attributed to the Maillard Reaction...:idunno

Top Bottom