What is wrong help needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Evan cooley, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Evan cooley

Evan cooley Chirping

Oct 22, 2017
    I have one chick that will not hatch it is day 25 and it is moving in the egg what is wrong

2. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Please specify chicken or duck. Have you candled the egg to see if there is an internal pip? When you say the chick is moving in the egg has the chick pipped and zipped and is stuck?

3. Evan cooley

Evan cooley Chirping

Oct 22, 2017
    It has not popped yet it is a polish bantam chicken

4. Evan cooley

Evan cooley Chirping

Oct 22, 2017
    Has not pipped yet

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If it hasn't hatched yet, I doubt it will at this point. Try candling it and find out if it has internally pipped (broken through the membrane into the air sac). I have read that you should see the beak if it has. There are some threads on here about assisted hatching if you want to look.

oregonkat likes this.
  6. Evan cooley

Evan cooley Chirping

Oct 22, 2017
    I can see it moving in the egg it looks like it might be turned around

7. Evan cooley

Evan cooley Chirping

Oct 22, 2017
    The others hatched out pretty well

Attached Files:

8. bobbi-j

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you think it’s still alive, check out the assisted hatching threads and give it a try. Worst case scenario, the chick doesn’t survive your efforts. But it will die for sure if you do nothing. It was set at the same time as the others, wasn’t it?

9. Caliber

Caliber In the Brooder

Mar 17, 2017
    The best thing you can do to help is not rush the chick. I also had one do this too. In my case the chick had pipped internally into the air sac. After waiting an extra 12 hours I "helped" the chick by creating a very small hole in the shell at the air sac just to allow the chick to get oxygen. By the next morning the chick had finished the hatch on it's own. I could see along the way that the chick was moving and if I picked the egg up and tapped it he would peep at me. :D
    Here's a link to the post about assisted hatching:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

aart likes this.
  10. bobbi-j

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    This is the thread I was thinking of. Thanks for posting it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: