what is wrong with cliff

Jul 24, 2020
NY
so last night we chased all the birds out of the stall into their pen so we could do some work they of course they were freaking out hitting the ceiling and stuff but today i noticed one of our birds cliff was limping we had company over and me and one of my cousins went in to catch him we made the mistake of not latching the gate and he got out with the other birds we gave him a break and then chased him around in the reeds for a few minutes till we finally got him back in the cage we gave him another break went in got him to go in the stall then closed the window so he couldn't go back into the pen we went in the stall and opened the window all the birds in there except cliff went out giving us the chance to close him in we finally caught him after about 2 hours and put him in the stall that sick or injured birds as well as chicks share with the rabbit we rarely have birds in there so right now its just him and a rabbit which the rabbit has a little hide and cliff can perch on top of it as well as a shelf for the guinea hens staying in there a tray of food on top of the rabbits hide and a pile of hay in the corner hes sharing water with the rabbit nothing looks to be wrong with his foot but hes clearly in pain hes been just laying around only getting up to eat or drink oh i should mention he is a guinea hen

At the start of the story I was wondering why they were so terrified (thinking they were chickens) but it makes sense now that I see he's a guinea :D any pictures? And also there's no other symptom other than limping? And if it was right after being chased around frantically, maybe he just hurt it internally, so it won't be visible.

At the start of the story I was wondering why they were so terrified (thinking they were chickens) but it makes sense now that I see he's a guinea :D any pictures? And also there's no other symptom other than limping? And if it was right after being chased around frantically, maybe he just hurt it internally, so it won't be visible.
i could take pictures but there is nothing to see no other symptoms

I have no experience if Guineas but I did have a hen who got freaked out by a fox and in the mayhem landed awkwardly.
She had a bad limp which resolved itself after several weeks. In the meantime she didn’t really put weight on it but managed to hop around using her winds for balance and would stand in one leg or sit down.
I figured it was some kind of sprain which healed with rest.
Could that be the case with Cliff maybe?

so last night we chased all the birds out of the stall into their pen so we could do some work they of course they were freaking out hitting the ceiling and stuff but today i noticed one of our birds cliff was limping we had company over and me and one of my cousins went in to catch him we made the mistake of not latching the gate and he got out with the other birds we gave him a break and then chased him around in the reeds for a few minutes till we finally got him back in the cage we gave him another break went in got him to go in the stall then closed the window so he couldn't go back into the pen we went in the stall and opened the window all the birds in there except cliff went out giving us the chance to close him in we finally caught him after about 2 hours and put him in the stall that sick or injured birds as well as chicks share with the rabbit we rarely have birds in there so right now its just him and a rabbit which the rabbit has a little hide and cliff can perch on top of it as well as a shelf for the guinea hens staying in there a tray of food on top of the rabbits hide and a pile of hay in the corner hes sharing water with the rabbit nothing looks to be wrong with his foot but hes clearly in pain hes been just laying around only getting up to eat or drink oh i should mention he is a guinea hen
Check along his leg for any breaks or bleeding. If you find anything, wrap some bandages around it so that it doesn't get infected from sitting around all the time.
In the meantime, it sounds like he's all right other than his leg. Leave him in the cage and away from the others for a few days and see how he's doing then. If it's a break or sprain, it should resolve itself with time, though he may be limping for a while.
Keep an eye on him and make sure that nobody is pestering him.

(And I don't mean to nitpick, but whenever you're asking for help with anything, please be clear and concise and avoid run-on sentences. You need to be as clear as possible to minimize the chances of misunderstandings. It's all right to have a line or paragraph for every symptom).

i have found that chickens and guineas are prety much the same i found this question online

is there any swelling, eg is part of one leg hotter?
there was one section the bad leg that was a little warmer but

Check along his leg for any breaks or bleeding. If you find anything, wrap some bandages around it so that it doesn't get infected from sitting around all the time.
In the meantime, it sounds like he's all right other than his leg. Leave him in the cage and away from the others for a few days and see how he's doing then. If it's a break or sprain, it should resolve itself with time, though he may be limping for a while.
Keep an eye on him and make sure that nobody is pestering him.

(And I don't mean to nitpick, but whenever you're asking for help with anything, please be clear and concise and avoid run-on sentences. You need to be as clear as possible to minimize the chances of misunderstandings. It's all right to have a line or paragraph for every symptom).
sorry not a good speller
i also dont think its a good idea to put him back with the other birds they were picking on him and he probably will have trouble getting to the food dish

Back
Top Bottom