What Is Wrong With George???

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
sad.png
My Cucuko Maran George Is About 18 Or 19 Weeks Old. Yesterday He Started Acting Funny. Walking Round Slowly. Just Looking Around. Not Eating Much. He Stayed In The Woods A Long Time Too. No Crowing, He Was Even Still On The Roost This Morning When I Went Out To Feed Them. Went Out A Few Min Ago And He Was Just Sitting On The Ground. No Speed To Him At All Usually He Is Running. Not Eating This Morning Either. They Free Range Most Of The Time Unless I Have To Be Gone. Could He Have Eaten Something That Didnt Agree Or Could He Have A Sickness? Help I Dont Know What To Do For Him!!!

Maybe someone else will have more insight, but when I see vague symptoms like this and do not know the cause (which is most of the time), I make sure they stay hydrated by dipping the beak in water periodically. Even for adult birds. Often they get over whatever it was that was ailing them. My personal theory is that dehydration often kills birds that could otherwise have recovered. They are small animals which lose water rapidly.

Continue to watch for additional symptoms, such as diarrhea, difficulty breathing, etc, that might lead you towards a more specific diagnosis and treatment.

Can you get close to him and listen to his breathing? I had a rooster do this once and he had a respitory illness. It really snuck up on me! I gave him Tylan, and he recovered. Now, with him having been sick, he can never be sold or given away because he might be a carrier of something that can make other chickens sick.

It could also be that he ate something that was bad for him.

I hope you figure it out!

Good luck to you,
Sharon

well george after coming out of the coop this morning i noticed he was missing and he was back in the coop inside the chick house. sitting on the floor of it. he did crow though. i set him some water and feed close by. dont know if he touched it. i did put a grasshopper in there with him and he just looked at it. i just closed the door to the pen so the other roos wouldnt bother him. later he did come back out but he is just so slow. he does peck around though. its almost like he is mentally challenged. he did cut his comb i think on the fence behind the house. could that be whats making him feel bad?

good news on george. i did see him eating grass this morning and he is out and about but still a little slow. i did see him run just a little this morning and he is crowing. i watched him drink alot of water this morning too. he got after the girls this morning too. all of these are good signs of recovery RIGHT ! he still does want to sit some and still a little slow but seems better from yesterday:D

Might be a good idea to look him all over throroughly. You said he had a little cut on his comb? Something may have got after him and he could have bite wounds or other injuries somewhere that need treated before the flies get to them.

Back
Top Bottom