1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with her eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sashathedog, Jun 4, 2011.

1. sashathedog

sashathedog New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    Hey all,
    We're new to the chicken scene. [​IMG]
    This is "Daisy" -- "Dixie's" sister -- and we're a bit concerned about her eye. We originally noticed it one night about a week and a half ago and we originally thought that she was "pecked" in the eye buy one of our more aggressive larger birds. But now we're not sure since it still looks a bit odd and in the spot labeled #1 she has a small white spot that appears to be developing on her eyeball itself. And as you can also see in the photo, the area #2 droops more than it should and when she closes her eye to sleep, it still has a gap there. There's no discharge or other "nastiness" going on with her eye, just what you can see in the pictures. She is still eating and moving around and is behaving much like a chicken would...
    The left picture is of her other (normal) eye. Anybody have any idea if she's just slow to heal or if there's something more we should be concerned about?
    Thanks in advance for any help! We've been looking around on the forum for a while now and there is a TON of great information here, but we haven't seen anything quite like this. Hopefully it's no big deal, but thought we'd ask the group who likely has seen something like it before.

[​IMG]

2. sashathedog

sashathedog New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    Just thought we should add that she is somewhere around 2 months old... we're not exactly sure how old she is as we got her from a local person two weeks ago, but this is our best guess.

3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I have not a clue. =\\
    I hope someone can come along and help you out and I hope it's nothing to worry about!
    <3
    Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by