What is wrong with his eye???

StarScreamers

Chirping
Jan 2, 2020
Hello,

My young rooster here is about a year old. Got off work and went to see him, i was wearing a head lamp and i noticed one of his eye were white when the light shined at him. Anybody know what this is? Cataract?

Background: Yesterday when i was in the backyard i heard a faint crow. I went to look and it was him. His breathing and crow is raspy like when you have a soar throat. Maybe a respiratory infection from the cold? I grabbed the VetRX and gave him a few droplets. I was hoping that solve the issue. But now with the eye. He eats, drinks and act fine with the ladies.

Attachments

• eye pupil.jpg
    eye pupil.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 26
I’m definitely not a vet but kinda looks like ocular mareks imo. (not my pictures)

Attachments

• 5955420F-8D82-44AC-8BB4-4A68B64A772C.jpeg
    5955420F-8D82-44AC-8BB4-4A68B64A772C.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 23D79407-764A-4017-9468-BD4D9B409689.jpeg
    23D79407-764A-4017-9468-BD4D9B409689.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 17
Welcome To BYC!

I would agree - it might be Ocular Form of Marek's disease, here's more information about that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

His breathing is raspy? Can you get a video of that?
Have you looked inside his beak to make sure there is no canker or lesions? Checked his crop to make sure it's emptying properly.

Have you added any new birds recently?
Where are you located in the world?

The raspiness could also be from Marek's, but there are so many causes, it would be hard to know unless there's more symptoms.

Does the pupil look more round in person, or is it oval shaped? Can you check to see of his eye color is faded or the same as the other eye? The cloudy pupil could be a cataract, but if the pupil is not round, and if the iris color is fading, Ocular Mareks is possible. But mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) a chronic respiratory disease, can also cause cloudiness in the pupil. There are many causes of cloudy pupil, such as infection and peck wounds as well. Have you seen any other birds before who had any respiratory infection?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lp-please-ocular-mareks-picture-added.217385/
Found this old thread and looks like the same eye issue.

I am from Northern CA, USA. The day i noticed his breathing i checked his throat. No signs of canker or lesions inside his throat. His noise is not running or wet. I felt around his neck to his crop, nothing unusual. Cleaned and ran water down his throat to flush out anything.

I have a small clip of his faint crow. And a blur quick pic i took in early December of the same eye. His other eye is normal. Black pupil, no misshape or coloration.

Attachments

• early Dec..jpg
    early Dec..jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 16
  • early Dec..jpg
    early Dec..jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 17
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...lp-please-ocular-mareks-picture-added.217385/
Found this old thread and looks like the same eye issue.

I am from Northern CA, USA. The day i noticed his breathing i checked his throat. No signs of canker or lesions inside his throat. His noise is not running or wet. I felt around his neck to his crop, nothing unusual. Cleaned and ran water down his throat to flush out anything.

I have a small clip of his faint crow. And a blur quick pic i took in early December of the same eye. His other eye is normal. Black pupil, no misshape or coloration.

Have you added new birds recently or is he new to you?

I would lean toward him having respiratory illness, but it's hard to know without testing.
You could try antibiotics to see if that clears of the respiratory problem. With your being in CA you likely will need to order them unless you have vet care. Tylosin would be a good choice.
As for the eye - still hard to tell, but I still lean toward Marek's on that one. To me, the early December photo, something is "off" about the eye but it's a blurry photo.

What are your plans for this fella?

I still would consider mycoplasma (MG) as a possible cause of the cloudy eye and hoarse crow, but it may turn out to be Mareks. MG can cause a “sunken eye” and conjunctivitis (pinkeye.) Hopefully, it is not Mareks.

This fella is to spend his days with the ladies. No new birds added recently. Its wet and cold where I am at. They dont get to roam as much as they use to. I do let him out on the few sunny days here.

The MG does look like it can be it. After the replies, I looked it up. Symptoms does fit. Now to treating it. Like I mentioned I already gave him a few droplets of vetRX. This is what the guys at the feed store recommended for all respiratory problems. But is there anything else I can try?

You could get some Tylan (tylosin,) oxytetracycline, or doxycycline to treat him. Here is where to find tylosin powder, and the dosage is 1 tsp (5 grams) per gallon of water for 3-5 days.
https://www.nepigeonsupplies.com/product/tylosin-powder/

Just yesterday this cost $36, and today it is $47, so I would call and ask about that. Jedds.com also sells it for $36, but they are out of stock. Most feed stores do not sell antibiotic over the counter.

You could try this (doxycycline) instead:
https://www.allivet.com/p-3532-bird...VPfjtpyYsGjXZSP7lSGruPKaDKBs8HERoChrwQAvD_BwE
I can check on dosage .

Last edited:
VetRX is like Vick's Vapo Rub for chickens. It helps alleviate symptoms by unblocking the sinuses, but it does not cure anything per se. Antibiotics may help if it's bacterial and will prevent secondary infections, but won't cure anything viral. Often the best you can do for MG or other respiratory infections is the VetRX rubbed on the comb, waddles and under wings, and provide supportive care (warmth, extra peace and quiet, rest, etc.) and let the chicken's immune system work. The flock will have the infection for the rest of their lives but it will lay dormant most of the time, except when they are stressed by other factors. Then it may come back.

Back
Top Bottom