What is wrong with little baby chick?

Sequin

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Ok, so here is the whole story... Mama broody sat on her nest. When temperatures were near 100 degrees outside, I brought her into the house to hatch her chicks in a/c comfort; which she has for the past week. Day before yesterday she hatched out two chicks, but I had to intervene. The first chick to hatch I discover her standing on it, then she starts picking at it as it is cheeping. I take it away from her, as well as the one who is nearly out of the shell. I put them in their own brooder to gain strength and give them a little quiet. The one who was not physically abused as a newly hatched chick is doing fine. The other however, the one mama was standing on, is not acting normal. It keeps its eyes closed nearly all of the time. It can walk, but doesn't really move from one spot to another - it isn't very active. It seems to breath a little harder than the other chick, but it isn't gasping. It will eat once in a while, but it seems to use too much energy and it quickly tires. It will drink, when presented with water, but will not go looking for water. It hears noises and lifts its head, but doesn't open its eyes much. I am not sure if I will loose this chick or not... do you think mama did lasting damage when she stood on it? Maybe internal organ failure? It will run to me and nestle, but then it just wants to sleep. Anyone ever have anything like this before? I have been sleeping with it for the past two nights, and every morning it is still with us. Any thoughts or advice?

I had one a couple weeks ago that took four days to eat and drink.I did give it poly vy sol vitimins without iron (liquid baby vitimins)and thats when it perked up,I think some chicks are a little slow.But I allso had one that nver did eat or drink on its own and had to be culled.

Back
Top Bottom