What is wrong with my 2m old chick???

ChickenMa18

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2019
I went out to feed the flock this morning and found one of my 2m old chicks alone and not coming to me for food. I walked over to her and noticed she was having difficulty moving so I picked her up to check her for injuries. When I did so her head dropped down and it kind of went crazy like trying to peck my hand super fast. This didn't stop until I put her down. Once I put her down she stops the pecking but it takes her a few seconds to regain control of her head.
I assumed this was wry neck so did my research and found that this is usually a vitamin deficiency or from injury.
I have put her in a separate cage to watch her and keep her from further injury and have since noticed she isn't pooping. I checked her for pasty butt but from what I can see everything is normal down there.
She can eat and drink by her self but is having difficulty walking around without the help of her flapping wings.

I'm at a loss and dont seem to be finding anything to help me figure out what is wrong. Any ideas would be extreamly helpful!!!

It sounds like neurological symptoms, possibly from a head injury, vitamin deficiency, or genetics. Wry neck is also. Wry neck and neurological symptoms can also happen with certain diseases that affect the brain, such as Mareks disease and others. The treatment consists of giving vitamin E 400 IU daily, plus some thiamine (vitamin B 1) and some cooked egg, tuna, or sunflower kernels for selenium. Only a small amount of one of those per day is needed. Many chick vitamins have thiamine, and human vitamin B complex have it. Poultry Cell and NutriDrench have all 3 ingredients, but may not have enough E, thus requiring a separate vitamin E capsule. I would try to get her back with others as soon as possible, unless she is being hurt or cannot get enough food and water. Let us know how she does.

Thanks! Will let ya know the outcome
It sounds like neurological symptoms, possibly from a head injury, vitamin deficiency, or genetics. Wry neck is also. Wry neck and neurological symptoms can also happen with certain diseases that affect the brain, such as Mareks disease and others. The treatment consists of giving vitamin E 400 IU daily, plus some thiamine (vitamin B 1) and some cooked egg, tuna, or sunflower kernels for selenium. Only a small amount of one of those per day is needed. Many chick vitamins have thiamine, and human vitamin B complex have it. Poultry Cell and NutriDrench have all 3 ingredients, but may not have enough E, thus requiring a separate vitamin E capsule. I would try to get her back with others as soon as possible, unless she is being hurt or cannot get enough food and water. Let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom