What is wrong with my chick-updated

Man! I wish I new the shirt trick a few days ago:/ I lost one of my day old babies the same way...very slow process...I kept doing sugar water with her but the same thing...I think maybe the stress of hatching(and all that they go through at the hatchery) and then shipping(mine came a day late!
sad.png
) And then the stress of a new brooder and no Mama...I guess it's just too much for some of them...my others chirped so long and loud all night the first night that I eventually put a stuffed animal in with them and they immediately all cuddled around it and fell asleep!!!??? Maybe just the idea of having something bigger than them made them feel more secure in the big brooder with no Mama Hen? Anywho...I'll have to remember the shirt trick! That goes along with my theory of insecurity and stress...HHHMMMM???
idunno.gif

I ended up having to sleep on the couch with her in my shirt most of the night. If she is not on me or right up against another chick she freaks out. She still isnt eating on her own. I dont know what to do.

My chick was really sick last, seems to be recovering now (if I use her loud annoyed chirps as an indication). My post was called "Buff Brahma- how sick is he", some BYCers gave me great ideas. I fed mine chopped scrambled eggs with sugar and water mixed in straight from my finger, and forced her to drink sugar water mix. When I would pick her up her legs would be shaking like crazy and she seemed to be shivering so I think she was too cold to fight off what was wrong with her. I made her her own small brooder with a spare halloween spot light bulb (85 watts- all I had) and kept her in my kitchen were its warm- the temp in the brooder was around 90-95, although my two week old chick should be comfy in mid 80's- I made sure to keep checking the temp so she wouldnt get too hot. Other BYCers told me to medicate with Tylan but I dont have any. It worked for me, hope yours pulls through.

How can you tell if a chick is blind? I dont know how likely it is but I noticed her standing with her face in a corner chirping loudly. And the fact that she freaks if she not touching somebody, the thought crossed my mind. She doesnt open her eyes very often.

Quote:
It's not out of the ordinary to have a blind chick. What does she do when you go in to pick her up? Normally, well mine anyway, wil try to scatter like I'm trying to eat them
roll.png
Does she do this? If she's not feeling well, and doesn't open her eyes much, it'll be harder to tell. Do the other chicks push her out of the way? It would probably be a good idea to put her in her own little house with a stuffed animal to try and help her get better. I've also had luck giving chicks honey - it is messy, but they normally like it. Also, a drop of vitamin B. It help with energy and metabolism. Actually just cured a chick with severe wry neck simply by giving him a few drops of vitamin B on a daily basis. You can get liquid vit. B at walmart. It comes with a dropper, so super easy to use! Good luck
fl.gif

She struggles when I first try to pick her but then she is fine. Like I said, she likes to be up against something so as soon as my hand is around her she calms down. The other chicks are fine with her. Whenever they get near her she trys to get up under them and they let her. I will try the honey. I have been putting a couple of pieces of food with water in a syringe and giving her that.

She may be very submissive. Try dripping the sugar water near the tip of her beak and see if her natural sipping reflex will stimulate her to drink. You can try a little olive oil too for calories. Occasionally you'll get a chick that can't or won't compete for food and water.

I had to cull her this morning. She just wasnt getting any better. She wouldnt eat on her own, just sat on me the last two days. First time I had to do that, it was awful.

Back
Top Bottom