What is wrong with my Chicken?! Pls help!

ashley261

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Victoria BC Canada
I have a Plymouth barred rock about a year old. She's been a great layer but now she seems very ill. Here's what's been going on:

She tires easily and sleeps more often
For 2 days she had to stand on the perch but now can sit down. She was also holding 1 leg up- it is not injured.
She seems to blink slower (or it's my imagination)
I've seen her eat a bit but not much
Had diarrhea but now seems better, although a very dirty bottom
Her crop seemed very hard tonight but I plan to check it again in the morning.
She just seems so sad - and almost a but confused.

Any ideas what it could be? I think I've looked at everything but nothing seems to fit all her symptoms. If anything I was thinking sour crop? I couldn't see if they stop laying because of it.

I appreciate any input, these are my first hens and I haven't had issues before.

I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing this. There's not too much more frustrating than having a sick girl and not knowing what to do. I cannot answer the question of what's wrong, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I've been there many times and it's heartbreaking -- I was never able to answer the question myself, but usually just gave my girls the best I could do (my favourite one even came inside wrapped in a towel on my lap with a heating pad and watched "The Hobbit" with me.) I wish you the best and hopefully someone with more experience can help guide you.

I have a Plymouth barred rock about a year old. She's been a great layer but now she seems very ill. Here's what's been going on:

She tires easily and sleeps more often
For 2 days she had to stand on the perch but now can sit down. She was also holding 1 leg up- it is not injured.
She seems to blink slower (or it's my imagination)
I've seen her eat a bit but not much
Had diarrhea but now seems better, although a very dirty bottom
Her crop seemed very hard tonight but I plan to check it again in the morning.
She just seems so sad - and almost a but confused.

Any ideas what it could be? I think I've looked at everything but nothing seems to fit all her symptoms. If anything I was thinking sour crop? I couldn't see if they stop laying because of it.

I appreciate any input, these are my first hens and I haven't had issues before.

Hi there! I'm sorry your hen is not feeling well. Have you considered egg impaction to be a cause? Egg impaction is when an egg literally gets stuck in the hen's vent. The reason I am wondering about this is that you said she was uncomfortable enough not to want to sit, and that she stopped laying. Also, her dirty bottom may be because she isn't able to pass much around an impacted egg, (since the eggs and poo both go through the same tube) causing her dirty fanny . Impacted chickens sometimes have a hard abdomen, but you said her crop felt hardened.

Here is a link to an article from the Chicken Chick blog that talks about hens being egg bound. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Please let me know how she's doing and if this helped at all. Blessings!

Do you have her separated from the rest of the flock? What does her poop look like? Make sure she doesn't have access to feed until you check her crop in the morning. She needs to be drinking, which is more important than eating for now.

My first thought when the eggs stopped coming was impaction but I've felt her all over everyday and I can't feel anything in there. Would you always feel the egg there?

Do you have her separated from the rest of the flock? What does her poop look like? Make sure she doesn't have access to feed until you check her crop in the morning. She needs to be drinking, which is more important than eating for now.

I didn't separate her, I only locked all 3 in for the night with water but no food. Her poop has been fine today. Oh how I wish they could talk!

Back
Top Bottom