What is wrong with my chicken?

scrappymj

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
Hello, Please, can anyone have a look of this pic, and help me figure out what is wrong with my chicken?. Her eye is close, face swollen :( :( . Thank you.
MJ

Seems like a sinus/respiratory infection to me. I would recommend purchasing some Tylan50 injectable from a livestock supply store and beginning treatment. The Tylan50 injectable (there is an oral form, but it doesn't work as fast) dosage is 1cc for large-fowl, .5ccs for bantams, injected into one side of the breast once daily for 5 days. Alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, and use a small gauge needle, as Tylan can make the injection area sore. Do not give Apple Cider Vinegar, probiotics, or dairy products during treatment. Improvement should be seen after 2-3 days.

You could also try another antibiotic, like a form of Oxytetracycline (Tetroxy HCA-280, Terramycin, Duramycin, etc.), but that antibiotic is weaker and less effective against respiratory diseases.

Besides treating with an antibiotic, I would isolate this bird, as respiratory infections are often contagious. Keep her in a warm, clean place, and minimize stressing her out. Perhaps put some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in her drinking water to boost her strength. If she doesn't eat, encourage her to do so by feeding treats like scrambled eggs, moistened feed, applesauce, etc.

Last edited:
Its possible that she has a respiratory disease or a sinus infection. Have you noticed any sneezing or discharge? I'd isolate her immediately from the other birds, and start giving her som electrolytes and probiotics. Make sure that she gets enough to eat and drink, and isn't cold.

It would probably also be a good idea to get some antibiotics. Many sinus infections/respiratory diseases are caused by bacteria. Tylan50 is one of the best antibiotics for respiratory diseases, so I recommend getting it. You'll also need some small, 20-22gauge needles and some small syringes if you decide to use Tylan. The dosage for large fowl chickens is 1cc, and for bantams, it is .5ccs. Give Tylan for five days, injected into the breast muscle daily. Here is some information on giving chickens injections: http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

If you don't feel comfortable injecting, you can try a water soluable antibiotic like oxytetracycline. Duramycin, Terramycin, and Tetroxy HCA-280 all contain oxytetracycline. It will likely be pretty easy to find. Tylan is a beter idea though, as it is stronger.

Watch your other birds for any sign of disease, as respiratory diseases are quite contagious. Give her some nutritious foods like scrambled egg, yogurt, and applesauce (just don't give dairy products while giving an antibiotic).

Hope this helps!

Thank u I just bought the Tylan50, tractor supply didn't have the oxytetra....:( now I have to learn how to inject it ...scary! So is 1mm?
Thank u so much for helping me.

Thank u I just bought the Tylan50, tractor supply didn't have the oxytetra....
sad.png
now I have to learn how to inject it ...scary! So is 1mm?
Thank u so much for helping me.

Yes, 1mm is the same as 1cc. Here are some basic instructions for injecting antibiotics:

1. Suck up some of the antibiotic with a syringe and needle.
  2. Have a helper (if possible--otherwise you'll have to hold the bird yourself) hold the bird so that you can easily get to the breast.
  3. Find a spot on one side of the breast that looks meaty. Clear away the feathers, and swab the site with an alcohol-soaked cotton ball.
  4. Slowly insert the needle of the syringe into the meaty spot. Don't go too far; about 1/8-1/4 of an inch.
  5. Draw back the plunger of the syringe. If you see blood, relocate.
  6. If there is not blood, slowly but surely press down on the plunger to release the antibiotic.
  7. Massage the injected area for a minute or two, and then let the bird rest.

Good luck with your hen!

Update of my chickens! well all of them got the respiratory infection! I've injected all of them with Tylan 50, I have 12, 9 of them are a little bit better, they are eating and drinking, and 3 of them are worst, their breathing is like they have bronchitis. Everyday I get 6 eggs (the other ones r young) today 2 eggs, I don't blame them, they don't feel very well :( Hope they will get better and feel very good with a lot of energy, running and chasing me for food :)

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom