What is wrong with my chickens feathers? Help

Mom2fourchicks

Chirping
Jul 31, 2019
New Hampshire
Can anyone give me some guidance? At first it was one chicken and I thought she was getting picked in by the others. So I tried stuff to stop the pecking. I bought spray and purple lotion. Then another chicken started losing feathers so I was like mites? Changed the bedding, sprayed down the coop many times. I have used diatomaceous earth in hopes that will help and changed their diet. I am just not sure what I am missing. I only have three chickens and now the third is starting to lose feathers on her bottom as well. They are still laying and acting fine they just don’t look well. It’s been six months or longer and still no luck. Maybe I hit the right problem but not the right treatment? Any advise would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 26EBA710-07FE-4CFE-BABF-DF1194BBD15E.jpeg
    26EBA710-07FE-4CFE-BABF-DF1194BBD15E.jpeg
    872.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 8175E67D-A8EE-47F1-82F3-1EF34BD7222B.jpeg
    8175E67D-A8EE-47F1-82F3-1EF34BD7222B.jpeg
    880.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 13CAC14B-8EF4-4AD5-B453-9A2BEC6AEEBB.jpeg
    13CAC14B-8EF4-4AD5-B453-9A2BEC6AEEBB.jpeg
    677.8 KB · Views: 9
That's some very red and irritated skin.
Maybe depluming mites? You would need topical ivermectin for that.

When I make the pictures big, it looks like the run is quite wet and muddy. Is that just a temporary circumstance? Is the inside of the coop dry?

What are you feeding?

That's some very red and irritated skin.
Maybe depluming mites? You would need topical ivermectin for that.

When I make the pictures big, it looks like the run is quite wet and muddy. Is that just a temporary circumstance? Is the inside of the coop dry?

What are you feeding?
It is wet and muddy inside the run. It is temporary as it’s winter for us and snow is melting. The inside of the coop is dry.

They get Dumor pellets and fruits and veggies from the house. Along with a variety of seeds, mealworms etc.

It is wet and muddy inside the run. It is temporary as it’s winter for us and snow is melting. The inside of the coop is dry.

They get Dumor pellets and fruits and veggies from the house. Along with a variety of seeds, mealworms etc.

If Dumor pellets means Layer, that's already minimum protein (16%) which is being further diluted by the scraps and scratch etc.
I'd switch to a higher protein feed, 20%, as protein is what birds use to make feathers.
I also still suspect depluming mites. But I hope some of our very experienced members will respond too.

If Dumor pellets means Layer, that's already minimum protein (16%) which is being further diluted by the scraps and scratch etc.
I'd switch to a higher protein feed, 20%, as protein is what birds use to make feathers.
I also still suspect depluming mites. But I hope some of our very experienced members will respond too.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom