1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with my chicks!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chookguy, Apr 24, 2016.

1. chookguy

chookguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2016
    So there seems to be a BIG issue with my 2-3 week old chicks. There seems to be a big lump on their chests. Is this normal? Is this a disease? Any guesses would be appreciated. The yellow one is leghorn or a bond white. The brown one is a bond brown. And the two black ones are bond blacks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California
    Those lumps look like very well fed chicks to me! When chickens eat their fill, their crop gets really full and they end up looking lopsided. The crop holds their food before it moves down to their gizzards and then intestines. The crop is located on the right side.

3. chookguy

chookguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. dries86

dries86 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    Europe
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When a bird eats, the food goes into a pouch called the crop. The crop empties overnight into a hole at the back of that and by morning, it should be smaller. Happens every day. Normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by