what is wrong with my hen????

It sounds like she may be eggbound. Try placing her in a warm bath for 15 minutes or so and massage her belly. You can also check inside her vent to see if you feel an egg. You can put on a surgical glove lubricated with vaseline and using your index finger, gently check inside her vent.
I was afraid I would have to do that, I an so scared I will hurt her or mess up her insides if I do.

add nurti drench to the water and keep it iced either with ice cubes or frozen corn, add cool water more frequently, and a nice warm soak will help if she is egg bound, not sure what to do if it's internal laying
@Eggcessive not sure what to do to check for internal laying or any other ideas

I was afraid I would have to do that, I an so scared I will hurt her or mess up her insides if I do.
Just be gentle and keep your finger in a straight position. You shouldn’t need to go in too far. I had a hen with the exact same issue. I did the warm bath two times, checked internally (didn’t feel anything), then separated her from the rest of the flock so she wouldn’t get picked on. I kept her in my barn for the day and when I came home from work, she had found her way out and laid an egg next to the chicken coop because she couldn’t get inside. She’s been just fine ever since!

Feel her chest/breast and abdomen and compare to another hen. If she is puckering, she may be trying to pass something, such as a soft egg. Have you seen any fleshy looking things in her poop? If so, that would indicate salpingitis, inflammation of the oviduct. Do you know if she can poop?
I have not seen her poop, but I just went out there, she is in the same spot I out her pretty much and she has a little poop stuck to her feathers, she also has a little scale that came off of her leg and it seems to be bare skin. I am about to go give her a warm bath like yall are saying and clean her butt and check her over better. I am so scared to put my finger in her vent but if I have to u will:oops: I will let yall know how it goes and tel

I have not seen her poop, but I just went out there, she is in the same spot I out her pretty much and she has a little poop stuck to her feathers, she also has a little scale that came off of her leg and it seems to be bare skin. I am about to go give her a warm bath like yall are saying and clean her butt and check her over better. I am so scared to put my finger in her vent but if I have to u will:oops: I will let yall know how it goes and tel
The scale missing could have been a peck from another chicken. I would definitely remove her from the flock as soon as possible. I know the sticking your finger in her vent sounds scary! I was afraid too so my 24 year old son did it for me. LOL! It really is no big deal, she will probably sit very quiet for you.

sounds like she might be dehydrated then if she's not popping properly, they will keep getting sicker if they are dehydrating and that's not addressed. besides the extra steps already mentioned, I added 2-3 small bowls around the yard for them to drink out of so if they got to interested in the bugs they were chasing they didn't have as far to get to water and get heat exhaustion

Last edited:
I have not seen her drinking eather. Should I give her water through a suring. Also today is my cool cleaning day and its gross in there lol so I dont want her to be in there, my hens free range so they only fo in at night And the only other place to put her is on my front porch in dog kennel, and u cod put a fan on her, but would it be to stressful for her to be on the porch

Ok so I soaked her in a cool bath, lol I tryed to do warm but it became cool before I could put her in. Anyways, i found out that there is two little spots where scales are missing at the top of her leg. Her croo is empty because she has not eaten today. I clean her butt and she is know in a dog crate on my porch. I made her scrambled eggs and put egg shells in it, she has eated the while thing but I gave her a bowl of ice water and she wont drink it yet, is there anything else I can do

Back
Top Bottom