What is wrong with our bird and what is in her poop?!

I agree, salpingitis.

Did the vet suggest starting aggressive antibiotic therapy? If she is a pet, that's what I would try.

Thank you for your thoughts and for the chapters @casportpony

In terms of the vet. Two things.
1. They are going to try and grow cultures off the poop (photo 1) before they prescribe anything.
2. In fairness to the vet, the "thing" in photo 3 and 4 - didn't appear until after we got back from the vet.

Here is the weird thing. Having passed the thing in photo 3 & 4, the birds behavior returned to normal. Normal levels of energy, normal eating / drinking, normal exploring. Her poop overnight in the coop: normal. Her behaviour first thing this morning: normal.

Now, I don't doubt for a second that the thing from photo 3 & 4 suggests something very serious in the background, most likely salpingitis - but the speedy apparent return to normal behaviour surprises me.

Any thoughts?

Trying to expel something from the oviduct that is not solid and smooth and round and therefore does not move easily in response to muscle spasm, can be extremely hard on a hen.... you see this a lot with them trying to lay shell less eggs. The item doesn't move smoothly through the passage like a properly formed smooth sided egg. The constant spasming of the muscles trying to push it out is probably very draining, even though the actual size of the material is usually significantly smaller. Once it is out, it is a relief to their system as it can relax and stop spasming....

I actually thought the material looked more like an egg membrane and maybe egg white, rather than a lash egg, like perhaps she has tried to lay a shell less egg and it had broken inside her..... Just wondering if the vet did an internal, digital examination and perhaps broke a shell less egg in the process.... but there is no sign of any yolk..... Have you emailed your vet the photos and further information, so they are fully up to date with all the symptoms/situation.

Trying to expel something from the oviduct that is not solid and smooth and round and therefore does not move easily in response to muscle spasm, can be extremely hard on a hen.... you see this a lot with them trying to lay shell less eggs. The item doesn't move smoothly through the passage like a properly formed smooth sided egg. The constant spasming of the muscles trying to push it out is probably very draining, even though the actual size of the material is usually significantly smaller. Once it is out, it is a relief to their system as it can relax and stop spasming....

Hi @rebrascora. Thanks for your reply. What you say above makes a lot of sense to me. The change in behaviour was quite striking. Once it was out, it was almost like: "normal service is resumed". She also seemed "normal" again this evening.

I actually thought the material looked more like an egg membrane and maybe egg white, rather than a lash egg, like perhaps she has tried to lay a shell less egg and it had broken inside her..... Just wondering if the vet did an internal, digital examination and perhaps broke a shell less egg in the process.... but there is no sign of any yolk..... Have you emailed your vet the photos and further information, so they are fully up to date with all the symptoms/situation.

Interesting. Again, thanks. The vet did check out the inside of her vent - and did note it felt a little swollen. Its possible the "thing" our bird produced is more normal egg related, rather than lash egg related - and his exam broke it / moved it along. Or, I guess, its possible that it is lash egg related, but in the early stages of an infection (so the lash egg is smaller and softer). I'm not sure. And I'm not sure there is anyway for me to tell (right?).

Anyway, we spoke to the vet today and they are waiting to see what grows on the culture from photo 1.

Thanks for everyones help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom