What is wrong with this bird?

Trina Bambina

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
North Georgia

I would love any ideas you have on this bird and what might be wrong with it. It is 16 weeks old. It gets around fine (other than the normal "can't see where it is going" problem, and eats well. It has a large growth on the left side, kind of under the wing and on its back (you can see it in the photo) and its tail goes at a 45 degree angle to its body. Also, if you happen to know if it is a cockerel or a pullet, that would be nice to know :)

It looks like a pullet. It has strange feathering on its sides etc but I'm not familiar with that breed and none of the feathers look male to me.

Some viruses cause tumors. Tumors can affect nerves and so forth. Environmental toxins, foreign bodies etc can also cause tumors. I don't know for sure what's happened but I don't think it's got a good chance of living long. What's the lump under the wing look like? Offhand I think it could be one of those diseases that causes tumors and nerve damage. Best wishes.

How long has it had the lump? Have you examined the lump and can you see anything? Is it loose under the skin or attached/ hard? It looks way to big to be an abscess and have the birds still walking around.

J
How long has it had the lump? Have you examined the lump and can you see anything? Is it loose under the skin or attached/ hard? It looks way to big to be an abscess and have the birds still walking around.[/quote

I will get my chicken handler (my 8yo son) to help me examine her more closely in the am, and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom