what is wrong with this chicken foot? Pictures attached

the bird is moving normally, I only noticed because accidentally saw the swelling from the top.

I will do my best tomorrow and let you know.

thanks for all advice and encouragement. I need both.

I've had a couple pretty bad bumbles(staph infected foot wounds),
never treated them at all and they all resolved in time.
Have seen other bumbles treated here without surgery.
The extreme surgery is not a mandatory thing.

ok, so I spent some time with the chicken and I do not think the problem is under the foot but between its fingers, on top.

I tried to dig from below but soon blood came out and I do not think there is a problem there.

take another look at the pictures.

20191110_163315.jpg
20191110_163258.jpg
20191110_163305.jpg
20191110_163321.jpg
20191110_163251.jpg
20191110_163222.jpg
20191110_163225.jpg

I believe that a cut should be done between fingers to remove the cyst that has grown there. this step is something that I will never attempt so I will try veterinary help. here is a video demonstrating what I believe is the solution (WARNING: IT IS GRAPHIC SO BEWARE):

what do you think from the pictures I have posted? seems to be more or less clean on the bottom of the foot right? do you agree that a cut between fingers should be done?

Without being able to see and feel the foot myself I can't tell you for sure if I would lance it or not. Sometimes the swelling will go down in a few days if all the infection is out through the bottom, just depends if it has spread to there or if it's just general swelling. I have done it before, not that difficult. I just made a small slit with a sterile scalpel and squeezed it out, flushed it out well, packed it with ointment. It healed up pretty fast. If you are uncomfortable doing that, or unsure it's the right thing to do, then absolutely a vet is a good idea. I've circled two spots that I think still may have pus in them, you can see the white/yellow. A pair of sterile tweezers might help get those cleaned out. The pink parts look good.
Inkedbumble4_LI.jpg

InkedBumble5_LI.jpg

tomorrow the chicken will be seen by a veterinary. he saw the pictures from the cysts and he said on the phone in fact it does not seem normal. so, he explained that will first check with a serynge before proceeding with the cut.

he wants to be sure there is an infection first before cutting. anyway, lets see how it goes

the veterinary came today early morning, we have proceeded with the cuts and in fact some pus balls came out. due to work I was out all day and when I got home late at night I have found that the chicken has spilled the whole water bowl inside the dog crate, the pine shavings were all wet, the bandage had really bad look and there was lots of blood (I could smell the blood so it was not pretty). the chicken was in a wet place all day when the recommendation is a dry place.

the bandage was a bit unrolled already and she was dragging it around so I do not know what happened there.

both places where she was cut are still swollen, is this normal or should I call the veterinary again? the size of both "balls" is about the same as before the cuts.

20191112_204342.jpg
20191112_204423.jpg
20191112_204332.jpg
20191112_204327.jpg

For now, I would clean up the wounds with disinfectant— Betadine or Chlorhexidene, then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment, and put a clean dressing on the feet. A folded 2x2 on the wound with antibiotic ointment, and then wrapped in vet wrap strips is good. I like to secure my water in the cage to the sides of the cage. For instance put 2 holes in the top rim of a plastic coffee can and secure it on the floor to the cage, then fill within an inch or two from the top, and keep it full to make it heavy. If you have some Poultry NutriDrench to give him a boost, that might help since he lost blood. Here is a video how to dress the wounds on the feet:

the veterinary said it would be best to leave the wound open to fresh air since it had pus inside. I am applying betadine once per day. I have just spoken to him by phone, if I suspect something is wrong he can provide antibiotics. the deal is to wait a bit more and see how it goes, hopefully for an improvement.

here are today pictures after applying betadine, I think there is a small improvement.

20191113_211250.jpg
20191113_211314.jpg
20191113_211305.jpg

Back
Top Bottom