What is wrong with this hens head?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenpiedpiper, Nov 22, 2010.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I adopted a bunch of retired barred rock hens. They were well treated by an experienced old timer. they were all in great shape, except of course the fact that they were all molting. (no worries there) However. one of the hens has a naked head. not from the molt either, they have been here for almost a month now, and not a pin feather in site!

I have treated with ivermectin in case it was mites. I never saw any signs of mites lice or worms. But this one hen has an ugly naked head!

Has anyone ever seen this? Should I be worried about her?

She seems to be the most dominant of the group, and the skin is bright red like a roosters head and neck skin, could she have taken on a rooster-ish role in the all female environment? (shooting from the hip here)

I would appreciate peoples opinions...

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    It may have been from breeding and the feathers have not or perhaps will not grow back.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have a couple of BR hens like that too, no rooster involvement. Aside from going through molt, they are healthy and are almost 4 years old, it might be something to do with their age...not sure though. As long as they're eating and drinking normally, I wouldnt worry about it.

4. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Thank you, I think they are pushing three years this spring. Most of them are still laying an occasional egg, maybe 2-3 a week, plenty by our standards, I just wanted to be sure there wasnt some wierd head balding disease out there that no one talks about!

That would be our luck!

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Ha! I have one just like it too!! Bought two hens and three pullets from a lady. Did not notice Lucy's head at first....was busy looking at them but her head must have been down. I worried about it and finally posted her red head. Everyone said it looked like Rooster damage.

[​IMG]

This is Lucy on the left....the redhead of course...and Ethel on the right. When they came Ethel laid really nice eggs and still does. Lucy's egg shells were so thin that my finger would go through them. So, I stepped up the protein and the calcium. Now her egg shells are plenty hard although not as hard as the others. Her eggs are the biggest also.

My understanding is once she goes through molt there is a chance the feathers will grow back....honestly I don't expect it.

Glad to know I don't have the only redhead!!

6. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Yeah, I wondered about rooster damage, but the gentleman had no roosters! He was very old school, and just had the hens for eggs. But he got to a point where he couldnt maintain them any more, so here they are. Nice looking girls, if a bit skittish.

I guess maybe it is just an age and genetic thing!

Thanks everyone!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sometimes other birds will be the culprit. I've had it happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by