What is wrong with this nasty raccoon!? (video)

Oh hey I don't have to spend money at the vet! I can just buy the vaccine for all of my cats and dogs at TSC. I just have to take them to a low cost clinic to get their rabies updated since that one isn't for sale without a prescription.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but if that coon had rabies and if you touched that "slime" and if you have an open cut on your hands-you may have been exposed to rabies. My neighbor is our local animal control guy, and he is very proactive about how animals that have been exposed to rabies should be handled-i.e. use gloves. One of his favorite lines is "Rabies is not like the flu. You don't get over it." I would suggest contacting your municipal health agency for advice. As far as the possibility of distemper-I am quite certain that coon sistemper is a different disease than canine distemper and is not infectious to dogs. Good luck working this out. Geo.

Our dog once had an encounter with a suspected rabid raccoon. We had contact with the dog after the raccoon, examining him etc. After speaking to our local Game Commission Officer, we were contacted by the Dept of Health and instructed to go immediately to the nearest ER to start the Rabies Vacc series. Our dog was quarantined for 30 days. A lawsuit followed because the GCO discarded the raccoon without testing it. The Dept of Health sent out an investigator and we had to document and prove we went through all of the shots etc. It went to trial and the GC lost, this is nothing to mess around with!

I don't mean to scare you, but rabies can be transmitted easily, through any open body orifice, including eyes, ears, nose, any small scratch or break in the skin. I would be making some phone calls and doing my own research before being so cavalier about this situation. For your animals sake and the safety of your family I believe expert opinions are needed!

I said we called animal control...they looked at several videos we made of the raccoon, after they couldn't find it under the neighbor's shed to get rid of it.

The officer said that raccoons in our area have been turning up with distemper and the nasty eye thing is a main sign of distemper, not rabies. Distemper causes neurological issues and retina scarring plus cold symptoms like drooling and coughing.

Plus my dog was vaccinated for rabies 1.5 years ago...so she hopefully still has lingering immunity if not full immunity. I'm not sure if it was a 3 year or 1 year vaccine.

but you are not vaccinated against any of that, did you touch the dog at all or wipe her off, did you scour your hands after word. did you scrub and bleach any and everything the raccoon may have touched or slimed? you dont need an open gaping wound to transmit this stuff, it can take only the smallest scratch or skin crack which are so common this time of year.

please please please get yourself to the dr and your dog to the vet.

Last edited:
Distemper, rabies or roundworm. I wouldn't take a chance with myself or my animals. We had a problem with a coon last May. She killed one of my bantys right under my nose. I beat her out of the run. But, because I had cracked skin around my hands and fingers, I had to get a full series of rabies shots - just in case. Hubby who had to dispatch the banty also had to get a full series. Around here, western Mass. the officials don't even question it, they just insist on shots to be safe. If your pup is only 1.5 years out for rabies she would probably only need a booster. But, just to be safe, were I you, I would go to the health clinic and get the rabies series. They aren't that painful anymore and you won't have to worry.

Am I the only one who genuinely feels really sorry for that poor raccoon? It was probably out in broad daylight because without eyes it is having a hard time finding food. Since chickens make noise I'm guessing it was hoping to be able to get an easy meal. I'd hate to think of it starving to death so I hope someone finds it and puts it out of its misery. Chicken nuisance or not, it is still a living being that feels hunger pains in its belly.
sad.png

As for OP's dog, I would take it to the vet and get those vaccines up to date.

Back
Top Bottom