What is wrong with this roo's feet?

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Being quite new to chickens, and homesteading as a whole, I made a few newbie errors yesterday when I went to a livestock sale. Namely, I did not physically inspect the animals I was purchasing, only doing a visual inspection.

I bought a quatro of OEGB, three hens and one roo. I noticed yesterday after I got home his feet looked weird, but thought it was just poop from standing in an enclosure. I took a closer look this morning, and this is not poop.

I soaked his feet in lukewarm water (he tolerated this quite well) and rubbed off as much dirt as I could. It almost looks like he has warts!

20220912_093430.jpg

I currently don't have any coconut oil or vaseline, BUT I do have a salve that I made from olive oil, bees wax, and heal all (Prunella vulgaris). Would this be okay until I get the other stuff? I use it on all the scratches and wounds I get from handling Muscovy on a daily basis, lol.

I currently don't have any coconut oil or vaseline, BUT I do have a salve that I made from olive oil, bees wax, and heal all (Prunella vulgaris). Would this be okay until I get the other stuff? I use it on all the scratches and wounds I get from handling Muscovy on a daily basis, lol.
Yes you just need something to create a barrier that seals in the mites to suffocate them.

That would work, anything that will smother the mites will work.
Here's an article.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-scaly-leg-mites-slm-what-you-need-to-know.77376/
Keep an eye on everybody else's legs, they probably should be treated too.

That would work, anything that will smother the mites will work.
Here's an article.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-scaly-leg-mites-slm-what-you-need-to-know.77376/
Keep an eye on everybody else's legs, they probably should be treated too.
Thankfully, they are isolated right now, and have not come into contact with any of the other chickens after I purchased them yesterday.

UNfortunately, that isolation happens to be in my trailer, where I live on my daughter's property. Little PeeWee Herman here decided this morning that crowing at my Wyandotte outside was a good way of showing him who's boss. As cute as that little helium crow of his is, I did not need to be woken up that early! I need all the beauty rest I can get!

Back
Top Bottom