What is wrong with Wattles??????

Chicklette 1

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Kentucky
Just noticed that my roo has a dark area on both wattles in the same place. What the heck is this?? His comb looks a little off almost like it has some dust on it which is what I thought it was since the chickens create so much dust. Then I saw the dark spots on each wattle. Tried looking it up but couldn't find anything that looked like this. Fowl pox seems to be more like little dots..........this is a much larger spot. Help would be very much appreciated!!!
62617_dscn0189.jpg

Last edited:
Could be the hens have been picking on them. They do it to my Delaware rooster, who always has at least one scabby wattle. Also, his comb and wattles are quite dry. Rub them with some vegetable/olive oil or bag balm.

Do chickens get chapped skin? If you have him in a garage with heaters, the air could be quite dry...or like speckled hen said, his girls could be picking on him

I'll try the bag balm but it is so strange that is equal on both sides. I do keep one of the garage doors partially open unless it is really cold and blowing directly in. I thought they need the fresh air and humidity. It has really not been that cold here in KY and probably could have stayed in the coop as I have a flat wall heater in there. I know some people keep chickens in the basement or garage all winter. They are in front of a window with sunlight coming in and I also keep the fluorescent lights on all day. I'll try the bag balm and see what happens. Thanks

I have a similar problem with one of my roos.... what I discovered is that the darkened area is right where his waddle hits the galvinized waterer. I am assuming he has frost bite, we had a freak snow storm here the end of October and the roos combs got frost bitten, this and your spot looks the same. He must have gotton it wet and that area froze or gotton cold enough to kill the tissue in that area. He is not bothered by it at all. It gives him character
smile.png

If you take the time to watch your birds you would see that when the drink they dip their wattles in the water, allot of times right before roosting and then the wet wattles are more suceptable to frostbite. Yes their exposed skin can dry up during certain times of the winter, just use any of the above moisture treatments and this will help, plus if your rooster is a sloppy drinker coat his wattles liberaly and the exccess water will simply wick away and not stick, thus not causing any freezing. hope this helps you understand.

Back
Top Bottom