What is wrong?

If it seems lethargic, I would try to get it to eat whenever you can. Do you have any dog food or cat food you can wet down to see if it will eat?

I’m assuming you aren’t from the states.;) Do they have poultry feed in your country?
No am not from states. Yeah we do have poultry feed but getting t is pretty difficult because we cant get it every where here. Those kinda shops which sell these are pretty much rare to be spotted.

Are you interested in tube feeding if necessary? I’m sure casportpony will have some more questions for you.

I agree on the nutrition, baby birds have specific dietary requirements, so it's important to feed a complete feed made for babies for the 1st 4-6 weeks, (at the very least). Ducklings also need more protein than baby chicks.

However, because this guy started looking bad so quickly after you brought him home, it leads me to think that one (or both) of the following is going on: Either (1) the duckling was sick when you got it & just didn't start showing signs until after you brought it home, or (2) Something this duck was accustomed to has changed so drastically, that it's caused him to have a response very similar to shock. For example, perhaps he was used to being kept indoors w/a heat lamp; if a duckling is used to being very warm, it needs to be introduced slowly to being kept outside- only a couple hours a day at 1st, & only when the weather is warm. Putting a duck straight from a brooder suddenly to outside where it's much colder can chill him & cause a shock (stress) response to his system, which can lower his immunity & natural ability to fight off a cold.
If ducklings look sad or weak & don't have the energy the others do, they are stressed. Treat like any critter that is sick: keep warm & away from any drafts & make sure he stays hydrated. Electrolytes added to the water can be a big help. You can buy an electrolyte solution made for fowl, or you can use Pedialyte or even Gatorade mixed with their water. When they look sick & weak & it's only been a day or so, heat & good hydration are much more important than anything else. Make sure the weak duck has access to water with electrolytes (& vitamins, if you have it), at all times, and that he doesn't have to compete with the other ducklings for water or food. I'd try adding a heat lamp as well, if onlt temporarily, so your babies can get under it & keep warm if needed. It doesnt have to be low like with day- old babies, 3'-4' above them will still give them warmth.
Also, if the weak duck is getting walked over, pushed around or pecked on at all by the others, I'd separate him until he can fend for himself again, as getting beat up will cause a shock response as well.
Good luck, I hope this helps at least a little. I love ducks & hate to see them get sick.

I agree on the nutrition, baby birds have specific dietary requirements, so it's important to feed a complete feed made for babies for the 1st 4-6 weeks, (at the very least). Ducklings also need more protein than baby chicks.

However, because this guy started looking bad so quickly after you brought him home, it leads me to think that one (or both) of the following is going on: Either (1) the duckling was sick when you got it & just didn't start showing signs until after you brought it home, or (2) Something this duck was accustomed to has changed so drastically, that it's caused him to have a response very similar to shock. For example, perhaps he was used to being kept indoors w/a heat lamp; if a duckling is used to being very warm, it needs to be introduced slowly to being kept outside- only a couple hours a day at 1st, & only when the weather is warm. Putting a duck straight from a brooder suddenly to outside where it's much colder can chill him & cause a shock (stress) response to his system, which can lower his immunity & natural ability to fight off a cold.
If ducklings look sad or weak & don't have the energy the others do, they are stressed. Treat like any critter that is sick: keep warm & away from any drafts & make sure he stays hydrated. Electrolytes added to the water can be a big help. You can buy an electrolyte solution made for fowl, or you can use Pedialyte or even Gatorade mixed with their water. When they look sick & weak & it's only been a day or so, heat & good hydration are much more important than anything else. Make sure the weak duck has access to water with electrolytes (& vitamins, if you have it), at all times, and that he doesn't have to compete with the other ducklings for water or food. I'd try adding a heat lamp as well, if onlt temporarily, so your babies can get under it & keep warm if needed. It doesnt have to be low like with day- old babies, 3'-4' above them will still give them warmth.
Also, if the weak duck is getting walked over, pushed around or pecked on at all by the others, I'd separate him until he can fend for himself again, as getting beat up will cause a shock response as well.
Good luck, I hope this helps at least a little. I love ducks & hate to see them get sick.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom