What is wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lizard554, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Lizard554

Lizard554 New Egg

Dec 22, 2010
    I am a new chicken owner. We have two hens is our back yard one of our hens has been like this for about a week and a half (see pic) but I have no idea what the problem is. It looks really icky, but when described to other chicken owners they tell me she is just molting. It looks awful ugly, and I’m worried. She acts alright, but she is not laying. What is the problem?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I don't know but giving you a bump so somebody that does will come along
    Good luck

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Wow, that almost looks like some kind of a fungus. That is strictly a guess, but beyond that, I really don't know. [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Poor girl, she does not look comfortable.

I am just guessing - maybe a fungus or maybe mites [​IMG] sorry

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That poor hen is sick... pale wattles and comb...not a good sign and definitely not molt. I recommend you inspect her for lice/mites. What does the inside of her mouth look like? I could be wrong but it almost looks like possibly a combination of wet pox and canker, I'm not sure though.

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I had the same thing we had to kill the 4 hens the 2 roosters I had, the hens were the carrier I still dont know the cure other then culling or killing your birds then cleaning and disenfecting your coop. Soon she will have a really puffy face and will probly get pooped on by the others if roosts are provied.

You might need two restart your flock as in my case we had to kill our light brown leghors and welsumer. We thought it was Chlora though they lived longer then the book said.

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
  8. Lizard554

Lizard554 New Egg

Dec 22, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. It doesn't look like the pictures of the different pox issues. She doesn't have any scabs like that. This stuff started right after it got cold here. Do you thing that had an effect?

Also, her coop mate is fine. Bright red comb, laying eggs, there is nothing wrong with her. Thanks again guys.

9. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
    Your hen has Favus..

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:If it is in fact Favus, you need to do a little reading on it. Just a quick glance and it said that it is contagious to the rest of your flock and to you-please do some research on this!
    I also read where Peter Brown(poultry expert) said to Favus with Lotrimin as it is, apparently a fungus.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by