What is wrong?

Lizard554

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
I am a new chicken owner. We have two hens is our back yard one of our hens has been like this for about a week and a half (see pic) but I have no idea what the problem is. It looks really icky, but when described to other chicken owners they tell me she is just molting. It looks awful ugly, and I’m worried. She acts alright, but she is not laying. What is the problem?

74340_110.jpg

74340_125.jpg

Wow, that almost looks like some kind of a fungus. That is strictly a guess, but beyond that, I really don't know.
sad.png

That poor hen is sick... pale wattles and comb...not a good sign and definitely not molt. I recommend you inspect her for lice/mites. What does the inside of her mouth look like? I could be wrong but it almost looks like possibly a combination of wet pox and canker, I'm not sure though.

I had the same thing we had to kill the 4 hens the 2 roosters I had, the hens were the carrier I still dont know the cure other then culling or killing your birds then cleaning and disenfecting your coop. Soon she will have a really puffy face and will probly get pooped on by the others if roosts are provied.

You might need two restart your flock as in my case we had to kill our light brown leghors and welsumer. We thought it was Chlora though they lived longer then the book said.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It doesn't look like the pictures of the different pox issues. She doesn't have any scabs like that. This stuff started right after it got cold here. Do you thing that had an effect?

Also, her coop mate is fine. Bright red comb, laying eggs, there is nothing wrong with her. Thanks again guys.

Quote:
If it is in fact Favus, you need to do a little reading on it. Just a quick glance and it said that it is contagious to the rest of your flock and to you-please do some research on this!
I also read where Peter Brown(poultry expert) said to Favus with Lotrimin as it is, apparently a fungus.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom