what is your average weight when shipping eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Country Living Farm, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    What is you average wieght when shipping eggs. Please put amount of eggs and price? If you ship out duck eggs do that too. I am trying to see, if my packages weight to much. I think I over stuff!!!

For me 6 pekin eggs is about 3 pounds and 12 is about 3.4 pounds
    Chicken eggs for 12 is about 2-3 pounds.

The reason I ask, is I just received 7 chicken eggs and the package was only 1 POUND!!!!!!!!!! It was popcorn and bubble wrap....

I use paper, plastic bags, bubble wrap and lots of tape to keep everything in one spot.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    unless i'm sending more than 18 lg eggs I'm less then a Lb. you really can't judge price because it also depends where the box is going, I sent 2 boxes once the lighter one was going farther away it cost more, than the heaver closer one, I just sent 19 serama to MO from WI and it was $5.75

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    all of my boxes weigh at least 3 lbs or more (usually more) I just use the flat rate medium boxes and am done with it. I double box or reinforse my boxes and use a lot of packing material so they have weight to them. I have received packages that arrived unbroken in very little packaging just some tissue, in a carton, and newspaper and had ok hatches.

4. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I usually do 8 eggs in the 7x7x7 box they usually run 1lb 4-6 oz. If I do a doz I put them in the flat rate box pay on line and its 9.80 rather than the 10.35 at the post office

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    1 dozen to 18 seem to run pretty close to 3 pounds.

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    If I send 6-8 eggs, I use a 7x7x6 box and it is usually just over a pound. But if I have more eggs, I use the larger boxes. Really it just depends. I want the boxes stuffed good and tight so the eggs can't move, so I don't worry about how much stuffing I put in them, or how much it is going to weigh or cost, I just want them to get there without breakage.

7. Fowl Visions

Fowl Visions Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    When I send a dozen it usually runs 3 to 4 lbs. I just sent out 8 eggs in a shoebox priority box today and it weighed 1.8 lbs. It really depends on how much packaging and size of the box. As yet I have not had any eggs break so I continue to keep the box filled with packaging as I have gotten good results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by