What is your Chicken Turn over time?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tish_matt, Dec 12, 2011.

1. tish_matt

tish_matt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Mass.
    I found out a co-worker buys chicks in winter and they lay during summer and fall, then in end of fall they sell the hens and get new babies. She doesnt like to have during during winter in Mass. We plan to keep the chickens for 2 laying seasons.

So what is everyone else turn over time with your flock? How long do you keep your chickens?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I keep most of mine until they die of old age or get eatten by predators [​IMG]

3. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I agree with you! I will be keeping my girls and boys until the end. [​IMG]

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    X3!

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    2 years, not worth feeding them after that. There has been the odd pet over the years, but usually the whole flock goes just after they turn 2 while someone may still want them for egglaying.

6. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Quote:x2 sometimes i give them away if anyone wants them but after a couple years its time to replace them.

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I keep them till they die or old age or need to be put down. I buy two new girls every two or three years to keep eggs up, but am getting too many at the moment! Mine are more pets than anything but I also think having the older 'more experienced' girls in the flock increases their safety because I free range. More eyes = more chance of seeing a predator and getting to cover in time.

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:X-3 we give away or eat hens at 2.5 to 3 years or thereabouts as our birds are for production not pets... This question will get a wide variety of answers as farmers and pet keepers are very different in their flock management practices many times....

9. fifelakelooper

fifelakelooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    2 yrs. Older hens produce less and are more prone to getting diseases.

10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    If I have a good Roo I'll keep him as long as he lives. As for hens, two years with the exception of those that become true pets, in which case they have a forever home here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by