What is your Chicken Turn over time?

They are coming in and going out.

Really don't want our flock to be all the same age. We also must have first year pullets for good laying each winter. Culling can and does take place at any time. Most well bred hens are given a second laying seasons. Only the very few are given a third laying season, and if they are, it may mostly be because of breeding plans.

I'm considering this same thing, while I love my girls and they are my "pets" in all seriousness they are our food. I've never culled anything and I don't think I have the heart for it, however if I can find someone to do the deed for me then I guess I'll probably weed them out starting next fall. I have girls currently ranging from 18 months to 3 months.

That being said I have some rabbits that I'd like to breed for meat rabbits but just can't bring myself to do it myself
sad.png
I'm such a wuss.

I keep hens until they are two years old......But I am a softy, and I do have two hens that are 3 and 4 years of age, just because one was my first chicken ever, and the other is just so darned cute and loaded with personality.

Oh well, I'm a bit fickle......
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom