What is your chickens’ favorite scrap treat?

Pics
I know many of us give our chickens food scraps as a treat or part of their regular feed. (Not meal worms or scratch, actual scraps from the human kitchen!) It’s been interesting to me to see what my girls go right for as soon as they see it, and what gets left til later!

My girls LOVE:
Grapes
Winter Squash
Watermelon
Cucumber
Bell pepper cores
Cooked rice
Yogurt

They pick at all greens and cherry tomatoes next. There hasn’t been any produce they haven’t eaten but they all go for the “good stuff” first! 😂 They do not love raw turnips. I will try cooking them next time lol.

Mine love grapes, watermelon, when in season. Cucumber, lettuce, kale, cooked sweet potato, cooked squash. ( uncooked freezes). Lately I've been grating apples for them because it's good exercise for my broken hand. They love that. Put it on a paper plate for them. They like scratch that is out for my wild birds also thistle seed. Plus whatever they free range in the yard. Grass, bugs etc. They love pumpkin also when it's fall. Got a big one and they just kept pecking at the whole pumpkin. Ok, I have spoiled chickens and ducks. Good eggs though.

I know many of us give our chickens food scraps as a treat or part of their regular feed. (Not meal worms or scratch, actual scraps from the human kitchen!) It’s been interesting to me to see what my girls go right for as soon as they see it, and what gets left til later!

My girls LOVE:
Grapes
Winter Squash
Watermelon
Cucumber
Bell pepper cores
Cooked rice
Yogurt

They pick at all greens and cherry tomatoes next. There hasn’t been any produce they haven’t eaten but they all go for the “good stuff” first! 😂 They do not love raw turnips. I will try cooking them next time lol.
Millet
corn
apples
pears
Cabbage, raw or steamed
Carrots, steamed
Melon
Honey dew melon
Squash
Broccoli
Walnuts
Cashews

Yogurt is entering I love seeing their beaks after they have eaten it.

My girls LOVE:
Grapes
Winter Squash
Watermelon
Cucumber
Bell pepper cores
Cooked rice
Yogurt

Popcorn! And oatmeal, the goose lives to play in oatmeal!

Back
Top Bottom