what is your chickens favorite treat ever

Yeah lol mine love them!! Also try grapes or cut up apples they like that too. They also like cabbage. If you get a whole big cabbage and through it into the cage it will keep em busy for a while!!

Make sure to remove the apple seeds- they're toxic

I buy mealworms from TSC and they love those. I also have a garden and I used to always give my chickens tomatoes, watermelons, corn, and green peppers. We would also give them a few pumpkins and grapes, and they loved those just as much.

As a "new egg", I am suprised by the variety of foods that chickens will consume. They really aren't picky eaters. They go crazy for any type of fresh fruit and raisins, leftover pasta & grains, and pretty much all veggies except for celery, onions & carrots. Now our compost bin pretty much contains leaves, coffee grounds, egg shells and citrus rinds. My spoiled rotten rooster gets some leftover fish and steak on occasion.
I would have to say that their favorite treat would be the ones that they find themselves: fresh bugs.
droolin.gif

Once in a while I used to give them excess eggs. Just throw them up so that they crack when they hit the ground, my production reds would go crazy for them! Good calcium and protein for them as well. Besides that, pretty much anything you throw out for free range chickens, they will go nuts over... Cracked corn, grasshoppers, bread, french fries....

Apple seeds contain trace amounts of cyanide. It's actually not a problem, mine eat apple seeds all summer long and have not had one random death (though have had some die from predators). I don't think other fruit seeds are bad for chickens. If my chickens will eat it, I'm going to let them eat it, and natural selection will work out which chickens are right about their cravings!

If I had to pick just one favorite food of all time, it would have to be WATERMELON! They go nuts for it, especially in the shade on a hot summer day.

Edited to adjust the chemical in the seeds, apparently it is not arsenic, it is cyanide.

Last edited:
Apple seeds contain trace amounts of arsenic. It's actually not a problem, mine eat apple seeds all summer long and have not had one random death (though have had some die from predators). I don't think other fruit seeds are bad for chickens. If my chickens will eat it, I'm going to let them eat it, and natural selection will work out which chickens are right about their cravings!

If I had to pick just one favorite food of all time, it would have to be WATERMELON! They go nuts for it, especially in the shade on a hot summer day.

okay so it would be the same for different breeds? i'm getting Brown Lohmann.

Last edited:
okay so it would be the same for different breeds? i'm getting Brown Lohmann.

I have a lot of red sex-links, they're essentially the same kind of chickens as the Lohmann Brown (both hybrids that are red with white tails and lay a ton of eggs). Tolerances would more likely vary between species of bird than between breeds of chicken. Bantams may be more susceptible than large fowl just because of their small size. As long your chickens only ingest a few seeds per day they will be fine.

People will also claim that avocado flesh, pit, or skin is poisonous to chickens, but I have not found this to be the case, mine adore avocado and, again, they are healthy.

Others also say to avoid raw potato skins, but I haven't yet found a reason to feed these to the chooks, usually I cook potatoes with the skins on.

Hope this helps! There's a really good list of foods to avoid for poultry somewhere on here but I can't find it...

Back
Top Bottom