What is your cleaning routine?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ambersparks, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ambersparks

ambersparks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    I am a very new, newbie! [​IMG] My chickens are 3 months old and are in a coop on the lawn that we move every few days. When we move it I hose the lawn down so all the poop gets down into the dirt and my kids aren't tramping through it. I'm just trying to get in a good routine of cleaning everything else and wondering how often do you clean the feeder/waterer and the nest boxes out. How do you clean them out? Soap and water or bleach? Any advice would be appreciated!! [​IMG]
    Amber
    four unidentified chickies

2. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop is cement floor, I sweep it with a cement broom, then hose it out every monday. thats it .
    Outside in the yard I scatter wheat feed seed & use the leaf rake to rake the stuff up in a pile -( i leave the pile there for a few days , the birds seem to enjoy digging my work all to pieces)[​IMG] . after i rake the yard with the fresh scattered wheat . I turn the sprinkler on. the sprincler washer all the POO smell down & waters the wheat. in a few days I have a GREEN chicken yard the birds dig & really love the fresh sprouted wheat----the water really does stop the flies & smell! I use no shavings in the coop.
    D

3. mylittlehof

mylittlehof Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I scatter wheat feed seed

Is this the "official" name for what you are talking about? If I were to go to my local feed store, is this what I would ask for? Thanks - I wanted to check into this for my yard. Thanks!​

4. ambersparks

ambersparks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2008
    Thank you very much!! I like your ideas!
    So would cleaning out the feeder/waterer with soap and water once a week be good? Should I do it more often than that and should I use a bleach solution?
    Thanks!!
    Amber
    four unidentified chicks

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I bleach the waterers weekly-sometimes more often in the summer. Usually wash the feeders 1-2 times a year-sometimes more if one gets nasty. The nest boxes I clean out & add new shavings as needed. The coops I TRY to clean annually-I use a deep litter method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by