What is your craziest chicken encounter?

Birdie mom

Crowing
Mar 27, 2020
Carlisle PA (But my chicks are in NC)
I have has chicken for quite a while ( 9 years to be precise) and I have had some crazy experiences in chicken keeping! What are your weirdest/ coolest/funniest story's as a chicken keeper? I have been attacked by multiple roosters (and 1 duck), have had one particular hen like to jump on me while I collect the eggs, have a chicken throw up all over the kitchen, etc... What are your stories?

one of our friends had too many Roos so the gave us 2 of them. One of them is the sweetest roo I have ever had and the other is a terrorist chicken. I was collecting the eggs one day and Marion, the mean rooster who's full name is Marion Butts, attacked me from behind. Luckily I had on heigh boots on so hem attacking me didn't hurt. I was very surprised by his attack and was even more so when i saw Runner's, the nice chicken, response. Runner ran up to Marion and spured him away! Now I have a guardian rooster to protect me from mean Roos!:celebrate

I had a hen who ran through an agility course (of which included a 18-foot agility tunnel). She was more of a dog then a chicken! She would even wait for me to come home from school every day. I also have a hen who jumps onto my back every time I enter the coop! She has trouble seeing and tends to run into things, so I named her Hei Hei.😂

here're two short little stories I posted earlier in a thread about quirky chickens-

"Not my chicken, but one summer camp I went too had this big ol chicken room. My counselor was like, "Hey, try to find my favorite chicken : )" And I looked around at all the chickens, but none of them were his very favorite. So then he pointed to the ceiling where, maybe 10 feet up or so, pretty high but I don't know exactly, there was this cute little brown hen sitting on a rafter. He said, "Penny! C'mon!" or something like that and what do you know she just flapped down and started pecking around. Apparently this one little chicken loves to roost incredibly high up.

The other chicken there, another one of this counselor's favorites, was this truly enormous rooster named Big Foot. He was an actual unit, like the size of a smallish medium dog. He was like "Hold our your arms" and he gave me this giant rooster and turns out he was the tamest and loveliest boi ever. He was heavy as hell though but he was very happy to be held in your arms."

Also included in that group was a cute little Porcelain D'Uccle who was small enough to hold in one hand. She looked just like a little pigeon and just lay there. Bantams are adorable :love

My first chicken, Ruby was definitely top of the pecking order. We didn’t have any roosters at that time. Whenever I went into the run she would chase and try to flog me. I remember the day it all changed......and so did my neighbor as she watched me chasing Ruby, yelling “ I am the rooster! I am the rooster!” That settled that!

Hey, I have one! So, I’m just kind of wandering around outside, when I see what looks like tail feathers blowing in the wind on the outside of the fence, in a woodpile. I look closer, and there’s a freaking game rooster there! So I’m gathering him up to take him inside when I see my hen that had been missing. And under her where 14 eggs! And they were already mostly hatched. So I bring the rooster inside, and I move all the chicks and the mother to a coop. Sadly the rooster died, but still, that was the strangest chicken related thing that’s happened to me!

Back
Top Bottom