What is your craziest/funniest chicken story?!?

Last summer was our first living on our 5 acre hobby farm after moving from the city. We quickly made friends with our 80-something neighbor. He has several chickens, and we mentioned to him that we'd like to get some SOMEDAY. Well not long after that, we happened to run into him in town. He rolled down his car window and said "I left a dozen eggs at your house for you. Oh, and by the way, I've got a couple chickens in a cage at my house for you." Then he rolled up his window and drove off. I looked at DH and said "I think he may have been serious." DH says to me, "I'm pretty sure he was." Sure enough, the next day he shows up with two hens in a dog kennel. And that's how we became chicken parents!

Oh, and I can't forget to mention Karen in the 'funny chicken story' thread. While we were in the transition stage of combining our new little girls with our two big girls, there was an incident where Karen was pecked pretty badly by the big girls. We brought her inside to the infirmary in our second bathroom. We didn't want her to be lonely, so we gave her a mirror. She LOVED it! She looked at herself. She pranced in front of it. She sang to it. ALL of the poop was in front of it! It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And if she saw us watching her at the door, she would stop everything and pretend she wasn't doing anything. LOL!

These have all been SO funny & cute!!! Thanks so much, everyone, for sharing, and thanks to the one who started this whole thing off!
smile.png

Condensed version since I posted Nugget's story already:
Blue Rooster confronts skunk, Nugget walks up behind Blue Rooster and screams at skunk. Skunk runs, Blue Rooster faints, Nugget goes back to sleep.

Other story:
When I was young my grandparents had chickens and one rooster was really mean. They had a plan though and you always left a bucket of water by the door to the coop. You grabbed the bucket, went into the coop, threw the water on the roo and grabbed the eggs and ran before he came back. I did this one morning but the roo came back too quick so swung the bucket and with a loud "Twang!!!!!!!!!" it hit the roo, which then dropped stone cold dead to the floor. I about decided to run away from home rather than tell my grandpa I'd killed his rooster.

When we first moved to our little house on 10 acres there was already a chicken coop here so naturally we had to have chickens. We got 5 hens and a rooster from a neighbor. Hubby is a firefighter and gone a lot in the summer so chicken duty is usually mine. Fog Horn Leg Horn turned out to be the meanest rooster ever and it got to the point where I wouldn't even go in to get the eggs. Of course hubby doesn't believe FHLH could be so mean so next time he's home, he goes out to get the eggs. He goes in (wearing slippers) and all is fine. He gets a handful of eggs and as he stands and turns, FHLH comes flying at him full force. He kicks FHLH across the coop and his slipper flies off. So he hops over to get it and as bends to pick it up, FHLH comes back for round 2. As he swings at FHLH, he hits his ball cap. As it starts to fall, he goes to catch it (with the hand holding the eggs) and cracks eggs all over the side of his head. At this point, he hasn't got his slipper back on yet so he's stepped in chicken poo in his bare feet. I'm standing there trying not to fall down from laughing so hard. Needless to say, he finally believed me and we no longer have FHLH.

Well, here's a short yet kinda funny story.
big_smile.png
All of these stories are amazing by the way! So funny with the game hen and policeman!
lau.gif
gig.gif
I would die from laughter if I saw that on the show, "COPS" of someone being chased but all they were doing is saving the game hen and chickies!
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Anyways, we had two RIR roosters, who are brothers. They never really fought with each other, but they once and a while run up to each other, get all fuzzy on the neck, and that was all. Then they would walk off and ignore each other. But one day, I think Ty sorta got tired of having his brother Marty around.
wink.png

We had let them out that day to free range, as we sometimes do on nice days. The two red star hens mostly followed Ty, yet sometimes Marty. The younger pullets were in the garage. Anyway, Marty and Ty began arguing again. Marty had been getting a little too close to Ty's hen, and Ty seemed to get really mad! :eek: He jumped at Marty, and Marty sorta ran off a bit, then turned around and charged at Ty. Ty got scared and trotted off, but then he came back and pecked at Marty! Marty got all fuzzy on the neck, and so did Ty. They just stood there and stared at each other for a long long while, then, Marty kinda backed off. Ty, not satisfied, pecked Marty again, and again! Until finally Marty ran off. But Ty really wanted to prove who was boss. So he chased Marty around the house. He justed chased him and when he slowed down, Ty would peck his back, and he would speed up. Around and around and around and around they went!!!!!! We were sitting on the porch watching and laughing our butts off!
gig.gif
But then we started getting worried. It was mid summer and very hot outside, and both roosters began panting, yet Ty kept up with the chase.
th.gif
I was like, "Dad! You have to stop them! Poor Marty could get hurt if Ty gets him." But my dad said that they had to work it out, unless they began drawing blood. Marty kept running and Ty followed. Soon they were just jogging tiredly, around, and around , and around....and so on. Until finally, Ty was satisfied and he stopped and went back to the hens. Marty stopped running and from then on stayed clear of Ty, once and a while sneaking over to the hens and dancing around them. But I thought it was pretty funny to watch them running around the house like a million times!
gig.gif
lau.gif

Beaker's Mom :

When we first moved to our little house on 10 acres there was already a chicken coop here so naturally we had to have chickens. We got 5 hens and a rooster from a neighbor. Hubby is a firefighter and gone a lot in the summer so chicken duty is usually mine. Fog Horn Leg Horn turned out to be the meanest rooster ever and it got to the point where I wouldn't even go in to get the eggs. Of course hubby doesn't believe FHLH could be so mean so next time he's home, he goes out to get the eggs. He goes in (wearing slippers) and all is fine. He gets a handful of eggs and as he stands and turns, FHLH comes flying at him full force. He kicks FHLH across the coop and his slipper flies off. So he hops over to get it and as bends to pick it up, FHLH comes back for round 2. As he swings at FHLH, he hits his ball cap. As it starts to fall, he goes to catch it (with the hand holding the eggs) and cracks eggs all over the side of his head. At this point, he hasn't got his slipper back on yet so he's stepped in chicken poo in his bare feet. I'm standing there trying not to fall down from laughing so hard. Needless to say, he finally believed me and we no longer have FHLH.

Hey! we have a splash cochin named Foghorn!
lau.gif
OMG I could just picture that happening!
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
Great funny story!​

My Silkie hens sitting on rocks, no matter what size or even if I removed them. All they wanted to do was rotate their rocks and let them hatch! No one said that they were the brightest birds but they have such sweet dispositions!

yippiechickie.gif

I love this thread... keep the stories coming!

As many have said here, I too never thought I would be this into chickens - why did I ever wait soooooooo long to bring them into my life??

This is actually my nephews story but I love to tell it (he's now 19 years old):

When he was about 4, his job was to collect eggs at their small farm in Texas. He was afraid of the rooster who always attacked anyone that walked into the coop so one day he decided to bring a stick (or something similiar in with him). Naturally, the rooster did his thing and scared the you-know-what out of the poor kid but he was prepared and he wacked the rooster over and over until it laid on the ground (BTW he wasn't dead just stunned). So nephew grabs up all the eggs and runs into the house to tell Mom. That night when Dad comes home he asks him "How many times did you hit him?" Son says, "I hit him til him not move no more!".

Still makes me chuckle all these years later and that was about a decade before I got my own chickens.

Back
Top Bottom