What is your craziest/funniest chicken story?!?

FlockofFun

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
I would like to hear some funny or crazy chicken stories!

Here is my favorite, when I first decided to buy chickens I bought one cochin hen and one OEG Rooster. I wanted them to be free range. When I got the chickens home, the hen stayed in the barn and the rooster went crazy and flew right into the woods. He never came back to the barn that night.

So four or five months go by, I had accumulated many more chickens maybe 8-10 or so. I had two new roosters to replace the crazy one that flew into the woods.

One morning as I go out to take care of everyone, I look past the barn and see that same roo that flew into the woods five months ago!!! I guess he dicided to come back and make friends with the ladies. He is still around and is CRAZY.

I call him the prodigal rooster. How he lived in the woods for months I have absolutely no idea.
roll.png

The other day, my 21 week old banty cochin rooster tried to "get friendly" with one of my embden geese. That goose chased him all over the yard! It was pretty funny to watch, actually.

I have told this story before but one day I was coming home and got pulled over right by my house so I pull up in my driveway and gave the officer my licence and waited for him to return. Now I could see a game hen with biddies from my vehicle. I could also see a hawk coming toward them. Now I'm being detained and the officer doesn't know I live here. I didn't stop to think or anything I just got out and started to run toward my hen and biddies. Of course the officer got out and started chasing me. He didn't know why I was running. About halfway between my vehicle and the hen I realize "I'm running from the police." Before I could get to the hen my roo Rocko jumped in the air and hung his spurs into the hawk and the hawk slammed into a tree and them flew in the other direction with my roo giving chase. The officer realizing why I had run didn't give me a hard time but I did get a ticket.

Every story I have has to do with food. One morning and big fat green juicy grasshopper was on top of the coop. We have 6 hens and 1 roo. My BO is at the bottom of the pecking order FOR SURE. My fiance thumped the grasshopper down into the coop and Audrey (the BO) snatched that thing up faster than brides at a dress sale. And she wasn't about to give it up either. She ran around in circles with all the other hens behind her for 15 minutes before she set her terms and they left her alone. Of course my roo, who really is dumb as a box of rocks, just stood there with his head going around and around.

Wow these are very funny stories!! I especially like the one with the game hen and the police officer!!
lau.gif

Mine are pretty tame, as I have only had my chickens a few months, but anyway...

I have an OEG hen that I wanted to get a rooster for. I was very leary about getting an OEG roo, because there are a lot of people in this area that raise them for fighting.
My plan was to get one roo, and build a pen for the games, mine and my dad's hens, so the roo wouldn't fight with, or kill, my little bantam roos.
I found a game roo before I had a pen made, and at $2 for him, I couldn't pass it up. So I bring him home, and he is at the bottom of the pecking order. My little bantam roos, that I was soooo worried about, chase this poor guy all over the yard, trying to woop him!! I will have to make a pen just to protect him from the bantams, that aren't even half his size!!!

Well, I've told this one before, but since ya asked...

I was comin out of my bedroom one mornin to go feed the stock, and Ruth (that crazy hen that follows me around and rides the horses with me) somehow got in my house and was settin in my kitchen sink. Well, of course she sees me and jumped outta the sink and runs up to me, so I picked her up and walked to the sink, and sure enuff, there was an egg settin there! I still dont know how the heck she got in the house... But heck! One less egg in the tractor seat (she usually lays eggs in the combine, I learned that the hard way... Crazy hen!)

Quote:
Thats a funny story and hear is another one I have told before too. I had a game hen that just started laying and she would fly up into the rafters of my front porch and lay her egg. Splat. You would have to be careful not to get egged.

Quote:
Thats a funny story and hear is another one I have told before too. I had a game hen that just started laying and she would fly up into the rafters of my front porch and lay her egg. Splat. You would have to be careful not to get egged.

LOL Ooooh! That would scare the heck outta ya, just walk out the door and stuff fall and splat all over your head!

Back
Top Bottom