What is your dream chicken breed?

Raised a lot of different breeds and varieties both large fowl and bantam over 5 decades but only raise New Hampshire bantams so I guess it would be them.

Attachments

• D159120B-583B-447D-AA6F-1C35951B85CA.jpeg
    D159120B-583B-447D-AA6F-1C35951B85CA.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 2
  • FC9C81F6-458C-4806-B5E0-B0A6B33AD950.jpeg
    FC9C81F6-458C-4806-B5E0-B0A6B33AD950.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 91D1744D-50A6-4078-8971-69542BE4E4D2.jpeg
    91D1744D-50A6-4078-8971-69542BE4E4D2.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 3
You're right, they're a large-sized chicken with pea comb and multiple colors. If they just came in a clean-legged variety, they'd be perfect :D

I had some once--that's when I fell in love with pea combs. But those feathered feet, in a climate that had either mud or snow for most of the year, made me swear to stick with clean-legged birds in future!

Maybe consider a mix, I'm not sure what this fluffy butt hen is, I love her though, she is a chunk, clean leg, may be Delaware, Buff Orp & possible Brahma mix, she only has 4 little feathers, 2 on each foot. She doesn't have the pea comb but it is a small comb.

Maybe we can try to create a new breed.

Attachments

• 20201107_144559.jpg
    20201107_144559.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1601489388046_image.png
    1601489388046_image.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20201202_181540.jpg
    20201202_181540.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20201202_181632.jpg
    20201202_181632.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I wonder why. I'm not doing anything magical. My original 3 Wyandotte hens are the 1 blue & 2 whites, going on 4 yrs old, still lay daily in spring, summer & fall. I let 1 white broody mama hatch 4 more Wyandottes, the 2 young Roos & 2 hens, they all hatched May 23rd, the young hens started laying in Sept. No one is laying daily these winter days, about 2 eggs weekly for now. I feed Producer's Pride layer feed & offer calcium to peck at all of the time, and hang veggies every other day, rotating cabbage head, squash, corn on the cob, & grain sprouts in winter (I Sprout my pigeon feed, a variety of grain seeds), plus a flock block winter as they're indoors alot like today, ugh, stormy, windy & cold, raining & sleeting it's butt off here right now. In summer they get a bigger variety as I can feed messier stuff outside from my garden like tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, & I let them pick all the fresh blueberries & cherry tomatoes they can reach, etc. They love when I'm gardening, I stir up bugs, Grubbs, etc. During molt everyone gets vitamins 2x a week, l cut a multivitamin in quarters & probiotics, I prefer pills, I don't like vitamins in water as it gets nasty. Once a week, usually Sun, while I bleach the big waterers, I have small waterers I mix up 1 gal of water with a teasp of ACV, minced garlic & oregano so they drink only that til I put the fresh water in later that day. I also use the little waterers for Probios 1x week, too, usually Wednesdays, when I dump the big waters & give fresh. So far so good. 👍

There is a pigeon remedy I've used to get older pigeon hens laying again, basically vitamins. Maybe it could help your hens.
https://www.versele-laga.com/en/de/oropharma/products/oropharma-fertioil
https://globalpigeonsupply.com/products/ferti-oil
Wow! I wish I could spoil mine that much!

I want to know what your dream chicken breed is? Whether it actually exists or not doesn't matter! Mine is a Silkie Easter Egger that lays easter egger eggs. I have one from My Pet Chicken but she doesn't lay colored eggs. I also dream of Wheaten Ameraucanas, Salmon Faverolles, and Bantam Easter Eggers! Can't wait to hear your responses!
there are silkied ameracaunas. they arent easter eggers but they lay blue eggs and have silky feathers. they are pretty rare tho.
Silkied Ameraucana | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens
(not my photo)

I want a moderately early to mature bird that looks a lot like a Dark Brahma, but the white replaced by a reddish gold tint similar to pale orange clay. It should lay about 120 med-lg to lrg eggs each year, be predator aware, a good free ranger, have a small single comb and clean legs. Males should be in the 5-6# range at 16 weeks. Eggs should be cream to tan in color. and while I don't want a CornishX Frankenchicken, a little more breast than the typical Brahma would not be a disappointment.

I would accept the same, but pattered as a Wyandotte instead, with only a little disappointment.

I've started a "project" (search on "Lemonade") to try and create one, and have no expectation of anything resembling success in the coming decade. Still working my way thru a very useful, 30+ page, chicken genetics thread with some very good links.

Last edited:
Maybe a Cornish Chicken?

Hatchery-quality Cornish are pretty close to what I like, yes.
And I've got daydreams of crossing them with other breeds to make more colors, too.
For example, the Dark Cornish are gorgeous--but replacing the red with silver would also look really pretty!

But the show-quality Cornish from breeders are way too wide for my taste, and are reported to be really bad layers.

Hatchery-quality Cornish are pretty close to what I like, yes.
And I've got daydreams of crossing them with other breeds to make more colors, too.
For example, the Dark Cornish are gorgeous--but replacing the red with silver would also look really pretty!

But the show-quality Cornish from breeders are way too wide for my taste, and are reported to be really bad layers.

Wait, you have Dark Cornish from a Hatchery with reds in them??? That's the second stage of my breeding project!

Mine all look like this:

1608165754246.png

I want to replace their white with something that's a little less obvious against my clay soils...

Back
Top Bottom