What is your dream chicken breed?

I love my crevecouers. I also love my lavender ameraucanas. Serama's were a fun breed, great temperament, but hard on breeding. I also enjoyed black australorps because of their personality, but the crevecouers I think are my favourite breed thus far.

I want a moderately early to mature bird that looks a lot like a Dark Brahma, but the white replaced by a reddish gold tint similar to pale orange clay. It should lay about 120 med-lg to lrg eggs each year, be predator aware, a good free ranger, have a small single comb and clean legs. Males should be in the 5-6# range at 16 weeks. Eggs should be cream to tan in color. and while I don't want a CornishX Frankenchicken, a little more breast than the typical Brahma would not be a disappointment.

I would accept the same, but pattered as a Wyandotte instead, with only a little disappointment.

I've started a "project" (search on "Lemonade") to try and create one, and have no expectation of anything resembling success in the coming decade. Still working my way thru a very useful, 30+ page, chicken genetics thread with some very good links.
Some Barnevelders Have feather patterns a lot like the Dark Brahma.
(not my pics)
Barnevelder For Sale | Chickens | Breed Information | Omlet
Store Barnevelder | Greenfire Farms | Fancy chickens, Beautiful chickens,  Chicken breeds

Some Barnevelders Have feather patterns a lot like the Dark Brahma.
(not my pics)
View attachment 2453319

Something like this ^^^ was my inspiration, and the reason I knew it could be done. Unfortunately, they are both slow to mature and lay very dark brown eggs.

If we can split the difference between your picture and this one:
1608235368978.png

we'll have the color I'm going for. Its not intended to win any shows.

Back
Top Bottom