What is your dream farm? (As in like your dream flock/land/other animals/everything dreamy)

ChickForLife

Walking my Chicken
Apr 22, 2020
🌲Connecticut🌲
I was thinking about what my dream farm would be, when I thought, lets see what other people's dream farm would be! It doesn't necessarily have to be a farm. It could literally just be a small coop with a few chickens if that is your dream, meaning it could be as BIG or as small as you want! Lets begin!

My dream farm:

Acres:
100+

Place: Montana or something naturey and maybe gets snow.
# of Chickens: 500+
Chicken Breeds: At least 2 of each breed and color and many of my own creation (crossbreeding).
# of Ducks: 200+
Duck breeds: Lots of the pretty ones! :D
Coop: NONE! They will all be free ranging but there will be a fence along my whole property. There will also be a river that goes into a waterfall and lands in a pond where all the ducks swim and dive!
Other animals: Horses, Cows, Quail, Dogs, Sheep, Goats, Geese, Emu, Pigs, Rabbits, Llamas, Bees, Turkey, Pheasant, and probably more I am forgetting.
Garden: Large area with stone walls covered in vines and pathways with tall flowers and trees. Trees induce but not limited to, Weeping Willow, Rhododendron, Bonsai, Wisteria, Cherry, and others. The crops will just be your average fruits and veggies.

If anyone has any ideas for more topics (Ex: Other animals, Ducks, etc,) I would love too add them.

Also, if anyone wants to draw this "scene" that would be amazing! :fl:lol:

Last edited:
Lots of chicken houses and runs… nice veggie garden, herb garden, small orchard... fruit vines... If I could choose anyplace climate wise… Tropical, I want Coconut trees, Papaya, Banana, Pineapple. I am doing what I can to grow out of the norm things here. Pond. Bees. A few goats. I love horses but not sure if I want them at my age… could do a mini donkey. I would probably end up with geese, ducks, pheasant, peacocks, pigeons, jungle fowl, quail, turtles, fish and more… size of the place I don’t know… definitely will need various buildings, barn, greenhouse, tool sheds, lath house (for camellias ornamental, tea and bonsai). Arts and Craft room in house. The House oh I do like the idea of a wrap around porch, needs proper attic, and basement… library space too… science workshop area, a way to get to roof for Star watching… office… game room… outdoor kitchen and bar, indoor wet bar, dream kitchen, second area for pantry freezers and extra fridge in house, laundry room…. Mud room, I need a hot tub! Lol

Beach near would be nice.

So I just need to move to an Island! 😂

Last edited:
Lots of chicken houses and runs… nice veggie garden, herb garden, small orchard... fruit vines... If I could choose anyplace climate wise… Tropical, I want Coconut trees, Papaya, Banana, Pineapple. I am doing what I can to grow out of the norm things here. Pond. Bees. A few goats. I love horses but not sure if I want them at my age… could do a mini donkey. I would probably end up with geese, ducks, pheasant, peacocks, pigeons, jungle fowl, quail, turtles, fish and more… size of the place I don’t know… definitely will need various buildings, barn, greenhouse, tool sheds, lath house (for camellias ornamental, tea and bonsai). Arts and Craft room in house. The House oh I do like the idea of a wrap around porch, needs proper attic, and basement… library space too… science workshop area, a way to get to roof for Star watching… office… game room… outdoor kitchen and bar, indoor wet bar, dream kitchen, second area for pantry freezers and extra fridge in house, laundry room…. Mud room, I need a hot tub! Lol

Beach near would be nice.

So I just need to move to an Island! 😂
Sounds great! I think I would like a tropical island! It would always be a nice and sunny day! :cool:

You know a large garden would be nice too not only with food crops but with flowers, rock walls, (camellias ornamental, tea and bonsai) like you said, and maybe some cool hidden paths!

Last edited:
I'm pretty simple. 5-20 acres, Room for 2-4 horses, acreage for pigs (wife would like to start a rescue). Few dozen clucks (heritage breeds and colorful layers, I like an outdoor fish tank kinda flock), some peafowl and probably guineas, room for the tortoises. A llama or 2 and a donkey. A good well, a warm house, a large barn/shop for all of my messy hobbies, and another office/workshop for my indoor hobbies. I don't mind putting in work to adapt a place to be ours, but I also need some modern conveniences like good internet and reasonable access to supplies we can't make/grow, etc on our own. I'm more a hobby farmer than someone who is really looking to homestead or commercially farm.

I'd definitely need mountains to look at, and clear skies to watch the stars at night. Bonus points for Northern Lights.

I will likely never have this kind of setup, but hey, a guy can dream.

I was thinking about what my dream farm would be, when I thought, lets see what other people's dream farm would be! It doesn't necessarily have to be a farm. It could literally just be a small coop with a few chickens if that is your dream, meaning it could be as BIG or as small as you want! Lets begin!

My dream farm:

Acres:
100+

Place: Montana or something naturey and maybe gets snow.
# of Chickens: 500+
Chicken Breeds: At least 2 of each breed and color and many of my own creation (crossbreeding).
# of Ducks: 200+
Duck breeds: Lots of the pretty ones! :D
Coop: NONE! They will all be free ranging but there will be a fence along my whole property. There will also be a river that goes into a waterfall and lands in a pond where all the ducks swim and dive!
Other animals: Horses, Cows, Quail, Dogs, Sheep, Goats, Geese, Emu, Pigs, Rabbits, Llamas, Bees, Turkey, Pheasant, and probably more I am forgetting.
Garden: Large area with stone walls covered in vines and pathways with tall flowers and trees. Trees induce but not limited to, Weeping Willow, Rhododendron, Bonsai, Wisteria, Cherry, and others. The crops will just be your average fruits and veggies.

If anyone has any ideas for more sections I would love too add them.

Also, if anyone wants to draw this "scene" that would be amazing! :fl:lol:
I live somewhat how you describe (except its not in Montana), except i want it condensed to about 4 acres, but free range territory can be limitless. The number of chickens and ducks doesnt matter to me. You reach a physical limit for yourself, unless you have a bunch of family to help you care for everything.

I wish I could change living in the mountains along a river to living on a flatter terrain along a river. Having to dig channels every time it rains is tiring.

What I like about my farm is it is tropical. If you take all the best parts of Alaska wilderness, colorado mountain rivers, appalachian greenery, Montana big sky and add tropical plants and weather, that describes my farm. But its tiring.

Oh gosh, there's so much.

It'd have to be at least 50 acres, in the middle of no where. Lots of woods and open pasture, a pond and creeks, wild flowers everywhere, and large oak trees across rolling hills.

Lots of Bantam Cochins, English Orpingtons, Silkies, Polish, Seramas, OEGBs, Japanese Bantams, and Ameraucana of all different colors in a luxury coop.
Plenty of Call, Mandarin, and Wood ducks with a large pond.
Peafowl in all the colors.
Ringneck and Golden pheasants.
Bob White, Button, and Coturnix quail.
Jacobin and frill back pigeons in a huge aviary.

Large pastures for rotational grazing for Nigerian Dwarf goats and Highland cattle. Along with some mini donkeys and alpacas.

A big fluffy Great Pyrenees to guard all the livestock. A spoiled Afghan Hound. And maybe a faker or two (like a Maltese or Toy Poodle).

A guest house just for rescuing and fostering rabbits.

And my house would have all sorts of reptiles and amphibians. Mostly Ball Pythons.

First of all, i would want flat, or slow rolling hills and valleys. Right now i have 20 acres, but like 2/3 are useless because to get to them means climbing vertically for a good distance, so nothing heavy can go up there.

Lush, or at least bit desert. No need for a cistern.

Warm, maybe mild winters with a few freezes. Nothing like the 6 months of negative days and snowdrifts looking to swallow cars.

I'd have large barns for each species with inside stalls that go outside but can be closed if there's an illness running rampant to keep them all sade

I'd love to have more acreage in the area I'm in now. Portion off most of it to remain untouched and join the state conservation program as a land steward.
With what's left: plant trees and perennial peanut hay and never worry about my goats having enough forage ever again.
(Not that I've ever thought about it before 😏)

Last edited:
I live somewhat how you describe (except its not in Montana), except i want it condensed to about 4 acres, but free range territory can be limitless. The number of chickens and ducks doesnt matter to me. You reach a physical limit for yourself, unless you have a bunch of family to help you care for everything.

I wish I could change living in the mountains along a river to living on a flatter terrain along a river. Having to dig channels every time it rains is tiring.

What I like about my farm is it is tropical. If you take all the best parts of Alaska wilderness, colorado mountain rivers, appalachian greenery, Montana big sky and add tropical plants and weather, that describes my farm. But its tiring.
Wow, that sounds great! Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom