What is your favorite breed of all time and why?

Pics
Here are two excellent chicken breed selection charts that may provide some guidance.
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
You need to consider what your desires and needs are for your birds and select accordingly, rather than go for what other people like. That's what most people do. Choose for climate first.
After over 30 breeds, I have many I would like to keep but limited on time and space, Penedesencas of the black variety are my all time favorite.
Why?
Self sufficiency. Great foragers, extremely alert, wary and daytime predator resistant.
I can turn them out in the morning to free range and lock them up at dusk with few worries for their safety. The eggs are extremely dark and the black variety is renown as a meat bird. Cold tolerant but extremely heat hardy.

Last edited:
See? This is why I love this website- I have never even heard of a Penedesenca! I will take a look at the links you sent through as well. I agree that what floats someone else's boat may not appeal to everyone. Located in Long Island New York, cold hearty is one attribute, as is calm docile and quiet. Doesn't mind being kept in a very large coop during the weekdays with free ranging nights and weekends. I also love to interact with my hens and want to be able to train them to come when called and be friendly enough to pick up every now and then. My favorite breed currently is the Plymouth Rock, I have the barred variety and she is great, very friendly but diplomatic, great forager, quiet enough but still chatty when warranted and very very smart.

This is great info- thanks so much and keep 'em comin'!

DucksandChickens

I agree with you there! A buff is def on my list! I had one that I lost this summer suddenly and was very sad when I no longer had an Orpington in my flock! She would do yoga with me in the backyard lol!

Oh and egg production is important as well!

Charlotte.jpg

My favorite breeds......

Black Australorp take first place.
Good all around chicken, mellow in the flock, lays well, can be broody, pays attention to what's around like hawks, not skittish.

Buff Orpingtons takes second.
Nice big bird, mellow in the flock, can be broody, not skittish.

Bantam cochins take third.
Fun active little birds. Broody, not a trouble maker.
Mine have lived long lives generally.

As to other orpington varieties..... Those are hard to come by here without ordering them. I have not owned any.

Back
Top Bottom