What is your favorite breed of duck?

kathleens1979

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
Hanna City, Il
I am thinking of adding some ducks to our chicken flock. Trying to decide on what breed to get. We are mostly interested in eggs, not meat. Anyone who can tell me your experiences with your favorite breeds would be very helpful. Thanks!

Do you even need to ask? CALL DUCKS! <3 Hehe! But as much as I adore the little guys, if it's eggs you're after then they're probably not for you. I like Pekins, they're great egg layers, and they also have similar personalities to Calls; very friendly, and very goofy. I love 'em.

Runners are hilarious to watch, and are good egg layers! They're notoriously skittish though, and kind of tend to do their own thing, so if you want a duck that you can bond with and will come when you call it, you'd best keep looking.

Have you read up on Cayugas? They're friendly, and lay lots of eggs, and are absolutely gorgeous birds! And their eggs are fun too, they're black early in the season and get lighter and lighter as it progresses. No idea why. You can have a pantone omelette! :p

Last edited:
Since you said eggs, honestly? Pekin.. they lay really well. Now they are loud and big, very comical however. I have some who have been laying on/off over the last bit no other ducks are laying right now.

For pet quality? love my calls, but they are poor layers and are beyond loud lol they fly too. Pekin are decent enough foragers and do not fly...

I do keep Muscovy but... they are seasonal layers and do fly, they are the best for bugs and noise level. I do keep buff orpington ducks, good layers too but i find them skittish and noisey.

I couldn't decide. I wanted good egg layers, so I got a Welsh Harlequin and a Khaki Campbell, but I wanted "different" too, so I got a Cayuga and a Blue Swedish. LOL

Oh boy, I don't have a favorite! I have a white layer because they are great layers, a welsh harlequin since it is critical and need help to keep the breed going not to mention they are very pretty and good layers, 2 runners because they are goofy, a cayuga because I love how pretty they are and she is super friendly and lastly I have a crested because no one wanted him and I wouldn't order one on my own. My runners are friendly and very tame but don't like to be picked up. My created drake is not tame but we kinda ended up with him and the rest of my girls and very friendly and put up with being held. So far my cayuga is the only egg laying girl we have and I have been getting an egg a day for the last week. One thing to keep in mind is that smaller leaner ducks don't do as well as larger meaty ducks when you have really cold weather. I love my mixed flock and would love to get a magpie. The breed needs help, they are good layers and so cute!

I like the Kaki Campbell they have a lot of personally my best layer are those hybrids from Mezta farms . They are laying fools.

Back
Top Bottom