What is your favorite chicken breed?

Favorite chicken breed (of the following)

• Asian black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buff Orpington

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Anything with a crest

• Roosters!(not a breed)

• ISA browns

• RIR

• Barred rock

• americauna

• Auraracauna

• Golden Comet

• BCM

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Leghorn

• California white

• Bantam Cochin

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Frizzles

• Silkies

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other........(please tell me!)

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
I think they're fine layers but because of their aggresion I will never buy more of them. My production blues lay just as well and actually lay bigger eggs and they are so docile and friendly. One of my ISA browns not only was attacking the other hens but went on a mission to kill the new chicks and started attacking me. She was gone real quick.
Really?!? My poor ISA browns that sadly has to be put down were the friendliest birds on the planet. One of them (my profile picture) was my baby and followed me everywhere and let me hold her like a baby. I love this breed but I sadly am not getting any more this year, but I’ll definitely be getting more in the future!

Really?!? My poor ISA browns that sadly has to be put down were the friendliest birds on the planet. One of them (my profile picture) was my baby and followed me everywhere and let me hold her like a baby. I love this breed but I sadly am not getting any more this year, but I’ll definitely be getting more in the future!
I think I just had bad luck of the draw then. I have 4. 1 had to be rehomed because she was so aggressive. The other 3 arent as bad but are definitely my more aggressive ones out of 18. I definitely have to keep them in check but the one I rehomed was attacking me like a rooster. She would jump at me, bite me, pick up the newer ones and throw them in the air, and wouldn't let any other bird eat until she was done. If anyone tried she attacked them. Shes lucky I found her a new home because she was about to be dinner.

I think I just had bad luck of the draw then. I have 4 [ISA Browns]. 1 had to be rehomed because she was so aggressive. The other 3 arent as bad but are definitely my more aggressive ones out of 18. I definitely have to keep them in check but the one I rehomed was attacking me like a rooster. She would jump at me, bite me, pick up the newer ones and throw them in the air, and wouldn't let any other bird eat until she was done. If anyone tried she attacked them. Shes lucky I found her a new home because she was about to be dinner.

That surprises me. My ISA Brown is the most people friendly hen I have in my small backyard flock of 10 birds, all different breeds. Every morning, when I open the people door to the coop, she jumps up to greet me and waits for me to pet her. She is the only hen that will approach me. But she has always been very friendly towards me.

My ISA Brown can be aggressive towards other hens. Enough that I might say she is more aggressive towards other hens than any of my other birds. But I have never seen her hurt any of the other girls. I always considered it a pecking order reminder type of thing.

Considering the good and bad of all my chicken breeds, I would say my ISA Brown is my best egg layer. When it comes time to replace my backyard flock, Dear Wife wants me to get more large brown egg layers like my ISA Brown. I really think the ISA Brown is a great breed, and being a sex-linked bird, you know you will only get a pullet in your order. Sorry to hear that your experience with the ISA Browns has not been as favorable as mine.

None of my favourites are listed:
  • Campines​
  • Frizzles [it's a breed out here]​
  • Belgians​
  • Japanese​
ETA : Sorry, missed Frizzle on my 1st read through.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom