1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is your favorite chicken breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by write2caroline, Jun 26, 2011.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Last year I got the Variety Pack deal and I got a LOT of chickens.

Surprisingly, the ones I thought I would most like...I didn't

My favorite breed in niceness is the buff orp - she lets us hold her and cuddle her.
    I think the other is a Jersey Giant - She is very black and her eyes are black too but she is very inquisitive
    The Speckled sussex too is very sweet
    The white rock too is a lot of fun.

Caroline

2. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Barred Rock, well mine at least. hot, cold, sunny, muddy, wet, dry...it dont matter, she is good for 6 eggs a week, and is the sweetest bird.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Silkies - they're so soft and sweet and such good broodies. [​IMG]

I also really like mixed-breds - they're truly one of a kind.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I really love Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks. The reds have always been a fav of mine but my rocks just have the funniest personalities!

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Yes, I like the barred rocks too.
    Caroline

6. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    My Naked Necks are my favorite. They have the softest skin, and like it gently rubbed. With the heat we have in TX, I don't worry as much about losing one to the heat. They will let me hold them once I catch them, but mostly they are just delightfully curious. I have also tried a number of breeds and didn't care for them like I expected. I really don't care for Delawares, even though the roo was one of the sweetest I have had, not once did he attack us. It seemed that the Dellies just like to cause mischief in the hen house, things have quieted down since they were sold. Don't like Barred Rocks and I found the siikies disappointing. Not the least bit interested in being held and all that survived were the boys so I never got my broodies.

7. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I love my Buckeye the mostest. She has the cutest personality, is such an individual, and goes crazy when I get near her. She literally cackles with excitement, and runs up to me and squats so I can pet her. She follows me around the yard when I garden, and lays at least an egg a day, and occasionally two. I want to eventually replace all my chickens with Buckeyes. My favorite in the "looks" department is my blue laced red wyandottes (BLRWs) but she is lazy and kinda dumb. [​IMG]

It's funny how different individuals of the same breed can be. An earlier posted talked about how she loves her BO, but mine is really standoffish and grumpy. I guess they are individuals, just like people!

8. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    My daughter would say that the new Buff Orpington because it follows her around the yard and lets you hold her.

I am torn between 3: Big Black Jersey Giants, Welsummer or Wyandottes. Each for different reasons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by