what is your favorite dual purpose bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by godsgurl4evr, Oct 2, 2010.

1. godsgurl4evr

godsgurl4evr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Bladensburg, Ohio
    when I bought mine this spring I was told Delawares are the way to go. That they grew the fastest and got the biggest. So I ordered Delawares. I've been disappointed as they are narrow bodied and are taking a long long time to put on any kind of weight. I keep reminding myself I can't expect them to look like cornish cross however I recently acquired 2 5 month old Black austorlorps and they are 3x bigger then the Delawares are! Looking for Ideas for next year before I know it it will be time to start buying chicks again [​IMG]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I think it really depends on where you get your dels from. I got some from Sandhill Preservation and the roo I kept is a pretty big boy at 17 weeks.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Of the ones I've tried orpington, marans, faverolle and EE, I say its a toss between the Faverolle and the Marans. I think I have to try them both next time.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have some GCMaran X Dellies that are HUGE and they lay HUGE eggs.

5. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    i like bos for the personalty. but i had a br and br/bo that grew massive very very quickly. the br/bo was one huge boy at 15 weeks.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I like Dark Cornish for the meat to bone ratio and the Marans for taste.

Steve

7. DIYSeattle

DIYSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Maple Leaf
    Im trying Welsummer and fbc Marans. I have some Light Sussex in the incubator so Ill see what they do but those Ill prbably just keep around in the yard. I looked around a lot of dual purpose birds. The ones that lay the most and the fastest growers were supposed to be the light sussex, delawares, favorelles, and astralorps. Ihavent had all of them though so I cant speak from experience.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Marans are very tasty, the only problem with raising them to butcher is they crow and crow and crow andddddd crowwwwww!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  9. DIYSeattle

DIYSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Maple Leaf
    What are you feeding your Delawares? What kind of food and what kind of protein?

10. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    My birds are 17.5 weeks old and are still on chick feed at 20% protien.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by