What is your favorite equine discipline and why? (include pix option)

geebs

Lovin' the Lowriders!
15 Years
Sep 28, 2008
I personally think all disciplines have merit... My favorite for watching is Polo and also Musical Freestyle.... but the apex of excitement would be watching a Mexican rodeo or contest....Especially the roping and my favorite Pablo Hermosa the bullfighter...His horses are trained to the highest level available anywhere. You cannot miss the awe of the horsemanship.

Enjoy!!!

I ride Dressage, western (cow events and gaming), english, saddleseat and single driving. My favorite tack is bareback and at liberty. My favorite horse is my 31 year old Crabbet/Polish arabian....

What do you folks do?

This is bragging thread so help yourself.... Show us your stuff!!!!!

Last edited:
I appreciate each style & breed. I've done everything from jumping & dressage to barrels, trail riding and Peruvian (native costume). I don't really have a favorite--as long as I have a good horse and a nice arena or a place to go on a relaxing trail ride, I'm good!

got a pic of the costuming???? I haven't ever ridden a Peruvian but I must say I like trotters and Icelandics... not so much Walkers though...

Man.... I am going to have to ditch the thread... I need to go for a ride/drive.... ha ha....It is still a little hot here!!! I just bought my daughter her first driving cart yesterday... She hitched her Welara to it for the first time....We trained her to ground drive and pull things years ago... So it was a walk in the park to hitch her to the cart... She doesn't like blinders though... We did have to use a bridle w/o the blinders...

Last edited:
The fact that you posted Merlin on here makes me as happy as a kid in a candy store.
smile.png

Merlin is my horse god; I would bow to his poop if I had half the chance.

As for riding style I prefer English hunt-seat, though the other endurance riders think I am off my rocker. I have ridden western in the past but just always come posting back to my English saddle. With the endurance I do quite a bit of dressage work, to keep my geldings mind in fit shape. He is trained to cart…now if only I had a cart…

I dont have a picture of me on my horse as it is hard to take a picture of yourself while on horse back, but here is my Anglo-Arabian four year old gelding, "Return to Oz" or Ozzy Boy.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4651588600_dd6a42ac40.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4651596310_43ff9d8221.jpg

I love the rejoreador UTube and the power and dare of those Lustianos and Andalusians protray in bullfighting. They are not strinking violets either! Just beautiful, even the Muinero toro.

I did some Paso Fino horse showing and endurance riding. I prefer to ride in Aussie or dressage saddles.

I have never had the chance to ride Peruvians so maybe in near future I will and see what the difference in smoothness in Paso Fino and Peruvian Paso.

I do like Spanish breeds the best.

Quote:
Peruvians are the smoothest gaited horse there is. Even Finos don't come close.
wink.png

Here are some pictures I have from a clinic I attended a few years ago...

DSCN0757.jpg

DSCN0759.jpg

DSCN0760.jpg

I also have videos of one of my Peruvians moving...this was taken a few weeks after the rescue (spring of 2006)--it took me HOURS with WD-40 to get her tail combed out! LOL

The following fall:
d92e.jpg

She's goreous!!!!!!!!!!

I got a friend that has a Peruvian Paso mare and maybe I should go up there and sample a ride! I thought there were a few near me but nope, none are found. I think they are just as beautiful and from what I can see in the Peruvians is that they do not change the type to an Arab or QH like the Paso Finos which nowadays, they have lost type and you can not figure out what they are except for their four beat gait.

Oh yeah, time consuming in grooming! They seems to get into everything and anything LOL!

I don't have Ballada anymore, though....(the black mare from above)

I do have Carroll (Peruvian also). I've had her 19 years!
fdb4.jpg

879e.jpg

4726.jpg

Kally, Arabian x Andalusian--bought her in 2000, sold her in 2002, bought her back in 2008
9a8b.jpg

8a0e.jpg

Bart Appendix QH (husband's 16.2 gelding)
ride071506007.jpg

ride071506031.jpg

Suena Peruvian Paso (Carroll's 2004 foal)
95ab.jpg

58e5.jpg

15f3.jpg

Gaiting at 24 hours old:
6ae5.jpg

We love our Paso Finos ... we have NINE.

This is Hierro. My husband rides in an authentic McClellan saddle (1911). He also does teampenning ...

HierroatTrailer.jpg

This Honey. I ride in an Aussie saddle ... do trails and gymkhanas (horse games ... for accuracy not speed).
HoneyatTrailer.jpg

Hopefully you can view this short little video of Honey & me in a costume class several years ago.

Oh, and the best thing for getting all those briars & knots out of your horses manes & tails is a product called "PINK" ... you can usually find it in WalMart or a Beauty Supply store. Very inexpensive. Be sure to use it ONLY where you need it, as it makes EVERYTHING slippery~!

Back
Top Bottom