What is your favorite (looking) breed?

Speckled Sussex are beautiful. Mine are still babies so no photos.
From the internet
FB_IMG_1619551114261.jpg

I have so many "favorites"! It is a life time goal to try as many as feasible, that appeal to me. I have a special place in my memory for Standard sized White Crested Black Polish, one of my favorites! Beautiful, mostly calm and decent layers of medium eggs. They were hardy, long lived and produced eggs for years, one was still laying in summer after 7 years. Other favorites were Ameraucana and Mottled Houdans. Barred Rocks, Barred Marans and Rhode Island Reds were the best dual purpose meat and layer birds for me. (before the days of the new hybrids) Having tried more than a dozen breeds, I want to experience more! Having said all this, a dozen varieties are on my "short" list for the future! I hope you enjoy the search as much as I do and that you are blessed with success when you make your decision!

Silver spangled Hamburgs are my absolute favorites, and they always do quite well at the fairs around here (or they did when we were still having them)! They can be a flighty breed, but with proper handling it is possible to tame them (some, anyway, others can be just nutters!) but I find them strikingly handsome eye candy. I've only got crosses now, but if I had more room I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another bunch and start showing them myself.

Hello ~ I have been thinking recently about starting to show chickens at my local state fair! I posted another thread about the logistics of it and any insight you have, but I am still trying to decide what breed I would like to start with. I LOVE the silver laced colors. And I also really like wyandottes and their rose combs. So I thought I would do Silver Laced Wyandottes. Do y'all think this is a good idea? I read that for a beginner, a monochrome bantam is best; but if I am going to put work into this I want it to be around a breed I'm actually excited about. Also, I cant stand the crow of a bantam so probably no bantams at all.

Most importantly, what is your favorite looking breed!?!?!? I am searching and searching for ones that I really like the looks of. As I said, I love the silver laced (and really all laced) colors. But it does have to be a APA registered breed. I also totally love the double laced barnevelders but that might be to complicated for a newbie.
Any suggestions or your opinions are greatly appreciated! And I would love if you can attach photos of your own chickens too!!

Also, non-feathered legged birds are better for me. Easier to keep clean, although I love salmon faverolles.

Lastly, I currently have a Blue Copper Maran rooster. He's AMAZING, and has saved my flock a few times. He's also very sweet and has never come close to attacking a human. I have 12 hens right now, but will probably have 15-18 when I get everything going. So, can I keep a second rooster with my flock. I know people say a 1:10 ration (male:female). But 1:8 is probably okay too right? I can always separate if fighting occurs or sell him.

Thank you!
I recently watched Chicken people on Netflix and fell in love with the silver laced Wyandotte.. I say that’s a yes! We Just brought 2 home along with 2 barred rocks to add to our ayam cemanis, they will all look lovely together, can’t wait!

Either Belgian D’Uccle or Andalusian, but out of my chickens… probably Road Runner my cream legbar Easter egger or Wolfs Bane my Ameraucana Lavender Orpington(shh don’t tell the others I said that)

Ah so hard to choose between them because there’s also Cilantro, she’s a baby from my flock, she’s a barred cinnamon queen and there’s my partridge silkie Carolina Reaper…maybe I’ll make a thread and let the people decide who’s the best looking 😂 but out of those four who do you think?

(If you look at the picture of wolf from above (black hen) she has some really cool neck feathers. And the picture with the two orange hens are Cilantro and her momma Cayenne, Cilantro is the darker one)
2BA3AD7B-1969-4386-B79A-A39BE016BC0E.jpeg
97C155A2-0341-4276-92C7-892FC8732D7B.jpeg
3FEA5624-F974-42D1-8AFC-4CD580C90488.jpeg
328F5DB6-9725-4B55-AABD-A8269E370BCF.jpeg
606CD1A8-D2F8-478F-83B6-18B9712C78F6.jpeg
DE07B496-9131-4850-B806-40E6C5D71E84.jpeg
B11C9E86-DF20-43EB-B28A-C9F6378F484B.jpeg
0F7687AB-91E3-4130-BB3D-1863F173AA28.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom