What is your favorite (looking) breed?

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hello ~ I have been thinking recently about starting to show chickens at my local state fair! I posted another thread about the logistics of it and any insight you have, but I am still trying to decide what breed I would like to start with. I LOVE the silver laced colors. And I also really like wyandottes and their rose combs. So I thought I would do Silver Laced Wyandottes. Do y'all think this is a good idea? I read that for a beginner, a monochrome bantam is best; but if I am going to put work into this I want it to be around a breed I'm actually excited about. Also, I cant stand the crow of a bantam so probably no bantams at all.

Most importantly, what is your favorite looking breed!?!?!? I am searching and searching for ones that I really like the looks of. As I said, I love the silver laced (and really all laced) colors. But it does have to be a APA registered breed. I also totally love the double laced barnevelders but that might be to complicated for a newbie.
Any suggestions or your opinions are greatly appreciated! And I would love if you can attach photos of your own chickens too!!

Also, non-feathered legged birds are better for me. Easier to keep clean, although I love salmon faverolles.

Lastly, I currently have a Blue Copper Maran rooster. He's AMAZING, and has saved my flock a few times. He's also very sweet and has never come close to attacking a human. I have 12 hens right now, but will probably have 15-18 when I get everything going. So, can I keep a second rooster with my flock. I know people say a 1:10 ration (male:female). But 1:8 is probably okay too right? I can always separate if fighting occurs or sell him.

Thank you!

Salmon Faverolles! This is Fleur.

Fleur 2.jpg

Oh nice! Yeah that’s beautiful! This was definetly one of the breeds I was considering. Is there a large fowl counterpart though? My family was already hesitant for a large rooster and not sure how long a bantam would last😂
Sebrights are a true bantam breed (no large fowl counterpart).

One of my favorite looking breeds would have to be sebrights. A problem with wyandottes is that hatchery ones are very far from the standard. Hatchery sebrights are much closer, but still aren’t perfect.
My hatchery sebright pictured below.
152147E1-255F-4A40-BF48-9A91FE09D528.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom